RODI Bypassing Booster Pump & Auto Shut Off

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a RODI with booster pump.

Our house has always had lower pressure. I just realized I could adjust the pressure regulator on the main supply line. This has worked great for the upstairs showers but I'm now getting 100+ PSI post sediment filter.

I added a pressure regulator, which brought it down to about 70 psi, however when I turn on the booster pump I'm around 110 psi.

I'm planning to bypass the booster pump & I have 2 questions.

1) the input to the booster pump is 3/8 and the output is 1/4. Are there any concerns using a 3/8 to 1/4 coupling?

2) Will the autoshut valve continue to work. Normally it shuts off the booster pump, but I assume it should still turn off the flow of water.

Thanks

T

OP
OP
Fish_Fry

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried bypassing the booster pump, but it doesn't seem to be making any water. The membrane is showing 0 psi.

Any suggestions? I didn't set this all up so I'm a little lost on trying to trouble shoot it.

Attachments

• 20240512_123303-01.jpeg
    20240512_123303-01.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 16

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the pressure upstream of the auto shutoff valve?

I'm no plumber, but I understand that anything more than about 80psi on a residential plumbing system is asking for trouble. Just FYI.

OP
OP
Fish_Fry

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since increasing the house water pressure, it comes into the system just over 100 psi. I added a pressure reducer which dropped it to about 70, but then the booster pump is bringing it back up to to 110 psi.

I'm trying to figure out how to bypass the booster pump & still have it work. I could probably add another pressure reducer but there should be a way to bypass the booster pump.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there should be a way to bypass the booster pump.
Right, but you need to figure out why there's zero pressure at the membrane. One way to do that is to check pressure at multiple points in the system, and figure out where it is going from line pressure to zero -- then that's your trouble spot.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by lowering the pressure of house plumbing to about 65-70psi. Not worth bursting a pipe in a wall somewhere. Then turn that screw on the back of pump(centered between triangle of silver screws) to adjust pressure to about 85psi going into rodi unit.

OP
OP
Fish_Fry

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lowered the house pressure slightly & went back to using the booster pump. The RODI seems to be working as intended.

Thanks everyone

2Plus2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a RODI with booster pump.

Our house has always had lower pressure. I just realized I could adjust the pressure regulator on the main supply line. This has worked great for the upstairs showers but I'm now getting 100+ PSI post sediment filter.

I added a pressure regulator, which brought it down to about 70 psi, however when I turn on the booster pump I'm around 110 psi.

I'm planning to bypass the booster pump & I have 2 questions.

1) the input to the booster pump is 3/8 and the output is 1/4. Are there any concerns using a 3/8 to 1/4 coupling?

2) Will the autoshut valve continue to work. Normally it shuts off the booster pump, but I assume it should still turn off the flow of water.

Thanks

T
Im glad you got it all figured out, but im curious to why you would purchase a pressure regulator when the pump itself has a screw to adjust pressure to your liking?

OP
OP
Fish_Fry

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im curious to why you would purchase a pressure regulator when the pump itself has a screw to adjust pressure to your liking?

I didn't know the pump had an adjustment. I tried searching for the owners manual online and I kept coming up with the spec sheet, but no detailed manual.

Thanks

Back