Rod's Food vs. LRS Reef Frenzy (Larry's Reef Services) - What is the Difference? or are they the Sam

Do you use Rod's Food or LRS Reef Frenzy?

• Total voters

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried LRS in my mixed reef and my fish went crazy for it. Unfortunately the closest LRS seller is in SD or Sacramento. Which is 3-5 hrs from me depending on which way I go. I know a couple LFS here in town carry Rods so it's available to us here to buy. My fish also go nuts for Rods. I like them both and there is another food on the market similar to these two that is just as good called ChefZillas ChowDown. This food is also available to us here in town now also. So I basically use all of them. I like the variety and so do my fish.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried LRS in my mixed reef and my fish went crazy for it. Unfortunately the closest LRS seller is in SD or Sacramento. Which is 3-5 hrs from me depending on which way I go. I know a couple LFS here in town carry Rods so it's available to us here to buy. My fish also go nuts for Rods. I like them both and there is another food on the market similar to these two that is just as good called ChefZillas ChowDown. This food is also available to us here in town now also. So I basically use all of them. I like the variety and so do my fish.

There is 1 in the Bay area, and 1 in Compton CA, Long Beach CA then San Diego, but they don't ship. .

Orbela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I gave away my chef Zilla my fish don't get it. But everybody seems to love it.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try reef frenzy should my LFS carry it, although I find the idea of having everything "freshly caught" and "hand blended" seems a bit silly to me for a fish food and more marketing along with cost. But I will eventually try and see, I'm sure. Please keep in mind when looking at these two that Rod's contains golden pearls, red cyclops and baby brine shrimp. Some of these things like the golden pearls are not visible to our eyes but will looks cloudy when in the water so I am not sure we can really judge how "clean" the food is by the cloudiness. IMO for SPS original Rod's contains more food items appropriate for SPS and small poylp foods will just look like dirty water to us since the particle size is 5-100 micron. Not to say Larry's doesn't have some food items for SPS in it, but IMO it looks like Rod's has more.

LRF:
Fresh Wild Caught Scallop, Fresh Wild Caught, Hand Peeled Shrimp, Fresh Wild Caught Ocean Perch and Whitefish, Premium Mysis Shrimp, Squid, Premium Yellowfin Tuna, E. pacifica Krill, Fresh Shucked Oysters and Clams, Zooplankton, Rotifers, Live Phytoplankton, Green and Purple Seaweed (Porphyra), Blanched Broccoli Flowers and Carrot Shavings (Rich in Vit A&D), A Hint of Garlic Dosed RO/DI Water (No garlic pieces are in the food), Oyster Eggs and Ovarian Tissue, Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids, Buffered ascorbic acid added as an antioxidant, D. salina algae (With beta carotene to boost pigmentation, immunity), LRS Probiotics.

Original Rods:
Shrimp, Scallop, Oyster, Clam, Squid, Octopus, Perch, Green Nori (porphyra sp), Red unroasted nori (porphyra sp) Mysis, Krill, Pacific plankton (Euphausia sp.) Brine shrimp, Frozen red cyclops, Fish eggs, Oyster eggs, Golden pearls (all sizes), Broccoli, carrot, Garlic, Selco, Astaxanthin (Haematococcus pluvialis), Beta-meal (Dunalliella Salina), Freshly harvested rotifers, freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try reef frenzy should my LFS carry it, although I find the idea of having everything "freshly caught" and "hand blended" seems a bit silly to me for a fish food and more marketing along with cost. But I will eventually try and see, I'm sure. Please keep in mind when looking at these two that Rod's contains golden pearls, red cyclops and baby brine shrimp. Some of these things like the golden pearls are not visible to our eyes but will looks cloudy when in the water so I am not sure we can really judge how "clean" the food is by the cloudiness. IMO for SPS original Rod's contains more food items appropriate for SPS and small poylp foods will just look like dirty water to us since the particle size is 5-100 micron. Not to say Larry's doesn't have some food items for SPS in it, but IMO it looks like Rod's has more.

LRF:
Fresh Wild Caught Scallop, Fresh Wild Caught, Hand Peeled Shrimp, Fresh Wild Caught Ocean Perch and Whitefish, Premium Mysis Shrimp, Squid, Premium Yellowfin Tuna, E. pacifica Krill, Fresh Shucked Oysters and Clams, Zooplankton, Rotifers, Live Phytoplankton, Green and Purple Seaweed (Porphyra), Blanched Broccoli Flowers and Carrot Shavings (Rich in Vit A&D), A Hint of Garlic Dosed RO/DI Water (No garlic pieces are in the food), Oyster Eggs and Ovarian Tissue, Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids, Buffered ascorbic acid added as an antioxidant, D. salina algae (With beta carotene to boost pigmentation, immunity), LRS Probiotics.

Original Rods:
Shrimp, Scallop, Oyster, Clam, Squid, Octopus, Perch, Green Nori (porphyra sp), Red unroasted nori (porphyra sp) Mysis, Krill, Pacific plankton (Euphausia sp.) Brine shrimp, Frozen red cyclops, Fish eggs, Oyster eggs, Golden pearls (all sizes), Broccoli, carrot, Garlic, Selco, Astaxanthin (Haematococcus pluvialis), Beta-meal (Dunalliella Salina), Freshly harvested rotifers, freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

LRS also contains Probiotics :)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, although the actual probiotics are not specified and even if they were I doubt anyone has any clue if they are beneficial at all to marine organisms. While I feel that I must like probiotics as I work for DuPont as a microbiologist that develops bacterial inoculants and DuPont recently bought Danisco which is a HUGE probiotic producer (among other things), I am skeptical as to probiotic value in fish food. Most of the agriculture additives like that are fermentation products which could have some vitamin value though. The actual bacteria in both foods I would suspect are quite numerous and diverse from the wide ranging sources of ingredients and that nothing is cooked which IMO would decrease the value of adding bacterial cultures if that is indeed what LRS probiotics are which is doubtful as most probiotic cultures would not survive in a reef tank to any great extent and those that would could be quite difficult to produce commercially in a large scale fermentation.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, although the actual probiotics are not specified and even if they were I doubt anyone has any clue if they are beneficial at all to marine organisms. While I feel that I must like probiotics as I work for DuPont as a microbiologist that develops bacterial inoculants and DuPont recently bought Danisco which is a HUGE probiotic producer (among other things), I am skeptical as to probiotic value in fish food. Most of the agriculture additives like that are fermentation products which could have some vitamin value though. The actual bacteria in both foods I would suspect are quite numerous and diverse from the wide ranging sources of ingredients and that nothing is cooked which IMO would decrease the value of adding bacterial cultures if that is indeed what LRS probiotics are which is doubtful as most probiotic cultures would not survive in a reef tank to any great extent and those that would could be quite difficult to produce commercially in a large scale fermentation.

As I read this again I really doubt anyone cares that much!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you have to admit when you are wrong. I didn't see the bacteria listed on the webpage with the other ingredients and somehow missed the tab talking about what they include. Many of the dodgy products out there have only vague descriptions like fermentation products, but not LRF. Larry said the bacteria are listed on the label, I still didn't see what species are included like L.lactis, L.plantarum and such, but since it does contain live LB a quick journal search does show plenty of positive use in aquaculture with live bacteria so I stand corrected! There does appear to be value in Larry's probiotics, sorry I didn't dig around more.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow SD guy, you have some great fish.

Ive never used LRS, just because it isnt available near me. From the sound of things, I am missing out. I'll give it a shot if I find it. I use Rods, but I do have s bit of an algae issue, so maybe that isnt helping...

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow SD guy, you have some great fish.

Ive never used LRS, just because it isnt available near me. From the sound of things, I am missing out. I'll give it a shot if I find it. I use Rods, but I do have s bit of an algae issue, so maybe that isnt helping...

Contact Larry of LRS Reef Frenzy. He will ship direct, and IMO at a very reasonable price. 4, 8oz packs, shipped in dry ice for $94.00. Looks like this is my only option as well :)

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used LRS Reef Frenzy (Nano) for 2 years now, not really sure if it's better, equal to, mostly hype, all I can say is my tank is thriving and the fish literally go nuts over it.

AJQ69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed less water clouding with LRS and it has more chunks of fish/shellfish. :bigsmile:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back