Rookie Mistake...

omajehal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just made a dumb rookie mistake... and I’m not even an aquarium rookie. I’m in the process of making RO water for my new tank and don’t have enough room to store 150ish gallons, so I’m pumping water into my DT and making new batches. I started today and then left the hose in the tank and went to work for a few hours.

Fast forward about 5 hours later when I get home and my Python hose has fallen out of the tank onto the floor and siphoned my RO water out of the Brute can and onto my basement floor. I didn’t have my leak detector set up yet, because the tank isn’t up and running. Cue the PO’d wife (and me kicking myself). A Python hook is in the mail from Amazon lol....

561F3A9E-F641-4FD0-8FED-C90F7F3948B4.jpeg

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when that happens. I have used carpet shampoo machine to help get the water out of the carpet.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least its clean RO water!

I accidentally left my RODI unit on overnight on the 2nd floor of my house. The next morning I had water damage on all 3 levels on my hours. $40K+ damage! House was under demo/renos for months. Luckily insurance company covered everything, just had to pay $1K deductible. Annoying thing was I was thinking of getting a leak detector just before it happened.

Hopefully this makes you feel better! LOL :)

OP
OP
omajehal

omajehal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least its clean RO water!

I accidentally left my RODI unit on overnight on the 2nd floor of my house. The next morning I had water damage on all 3 levels on my hours. $40K+ damage! House was under demo/renos for months. Luckily insurance company covered everything, just had to pay $1K deductible. Annoying thing was I was thinking of getting a leak detector just before it happened.

Hopefully this makes you feel better! LOL :)
Exactly my thought/argument with my wife! Clean water in the basement and only 15-20 gallons maybe. I’m thinking the dehumidifier and catching it early on will make this a pretty straightforward cleanup. I’d be dead if it were $40k lol. At least your insurance covered it, but I feel your pain.

Back