Rose Bubble Tip Anemones

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation time! How long to you let the BTA’s drip? Salinity is still pretty high for my tank… my tank is about 31.9 and water with nems are 34.4 ppm. They have been in there for about 2 hours and 15 minutes.(I just took some water out of the bucket they are in)
Also what is this white stuff on the nem?
(Sorry not the best photographer)

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guess since I’m in this situation… I gotta leave for work. I’m going to leave it on 1 drip or less per second and leave for work. I will be gone 8 hours so I guess I will update y’all when I get home.
Hope it doesn’t over fill the 5 gallon bucket

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation time! How long to you let the BTA’s drip? Salinity is still pretty high for my tank… my tank is about 31.9 and water with nems are 34.4 ppm. They have been in there for about 2 hours and 15 minutes.(I just took some water out of the bucket they are in)
Also what is this white stuff on the nem?
(Sorry not the best photographer)

image.jpg image.jpg

Your tank is just under 32 instead of 35 for salt water? is that not a little low for coral?

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by everyone that I sh
Why stress them out through a long acclimation. Temp match and drop them in
I was told by everybody they need to drip acclimate… since the person who sent them to me was running top end numbers and especially since I have been running my tank at 32 ppm almost the whole time I have had it… am I doing this wrong?! I have a fire fish goby and a foxface rabbitfish rn waiting on the clowns…

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was told by everybody they need to drip acclimate… since the person who sent them to me was running top end numbers and especially since I have been running my tank at 32 ppm almost the whole time I have had it… am I doing this wrong?! I have a fire fish goby and a foxface rabbitfish rn waiting on the clowns…
More importantly is what are you getting for results. For a coral system I have always stayed closer to 35ppm. How do your corals look? What are your test numbers and what tests do you use? Alkalinity, calcium, magnesium?

As for anemones I have found them more durable then some give them credit for. You will find that some people drip and some don't. I personally don't even drip acclimate coral. But many do. Always temperature acclimate though(float in bag for 15min).

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

top end for saltwater I would say would be 36 or 37ppm. People do that for higher minerals in the water. Coral tend to prefer higher ppm while fish like lower ppm. Most I would imagine keep around 35ppm.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we all start somewhere. How did you get started? friend, youtube, local store? just curios
Started because I saw a reefer here in arizona while I was cleaning his carpet and tile. Told me he grew coral and sold to LFS to make his costs of reefing cheaper. He has a beautiful tank I told him it looked super complex. Then he told me you can do it and it becomes easy if you are willing to learn about the animals. He said the more you care for them the more they will thrive!
I got into fresh water for a short bout and then saw some really pretty reef tanks online and decided what the heck we can try. I studied so many things for like 4+ months. My wife (and everybody else I spoke with) told me to just pull the trigger and start. So I did found an awesome deal and got a 150 gallon tank. After that started the cycle with all their stuff(turn key system) and now I have about $2.5k into my entire system. Not bad for a big tank but I had to sell a gun and car… lol I like the tank better!

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More importantly is what are you getting for results. For a coral system I have always stayed closer to 35ppm. How do your corals look? What are your test numbers and what tests do you use? Alkalinity, calcium, magnesium?

As for anemones I have found them more durable then some give them credit for. You will find that some people drip and some don't. I personally don't even drip acclimate coral. But many do. Always temperature acclimate though(float in bag for 15min).
I have hanna instruments checkers. Salinity, alk, low nitrite(or nitrate… keep getting the two mixed up), PH, and copper checkers. I am getting on a schedule of 2 times a month checking. (I don’t have it memorized I am putting it in a small book so I can watch the numbers).
I have what my LFS called a zoa. But everybody on here says it’s not… and I feel as though I have had some symptoms of poly-toxin poisoning. So my wife and I’s guess is that it is a poly. It looks pretty good.
My tanks ATO over filled my sump last night(luckily didn’t over flow!) but it did bring salinity down some. I figured I would bring it back up slow(and wait for some of the water to evaporate).

lynaea75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slower is always better with changes to water Params in your tank but not necessarily when adding/acclimating livestock.

In my experience palys have longer tentacles than zoas and are considerably more likely to grab meaty chunks when offered, Zoa’s will ignore, or even spit out food.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I never thought that I would be in a hobby that has vastly differing opinions such as what I have heard lol! Every video says almost the exact opposite of what you all are saying

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plop them in the new tank, temps are always close enough, and water parameters always close enough to never shock a single one. These are harder critters and as long as your tank is well seasoned they will do just fine dumping them in.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds excessivly unnecassarily long process lol. I don't think I even drip acclimated mines.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got home and dropped them in. Water was a little less than 1/2 ppm difference and temp was .1 C difference. All attached to rocks pretty nicely and within 30 seconds. All of them moved from their spots (big surprise) but they all look awesome and 3 of 4 are somewhat out in the open. The other is tucked under a rock but I can still see him. I will just watch them for 3-4 days and once they open their mouth I will feed.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pics(they still are not showing their green color like they were showing last night though)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 45

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back