Royal Gramma acting differently

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had him for about a week now. I have 2 clowns red leg crabs and snails that where already in there prior to adding him. He was always out if center of tank eating brine and marine flakes. I added a fire fish and diamond watchman gobie. He seemed to become more protective of his area when the firefish came near nothing major just swam swiftly towards the firefish with mouth opened. So yesterday I noticed he wasn't interested in any food and then he disappeared. He is hanging out in a rock and just stays there hard to see. I have fed several times since he has went into hiding. I also added a bubbler all perimeters are good.

So I'm wondering how long do I wait before I take some kind of action the picture of him posted is a few days old.

20231206_191055.jpg 20231201_091735.jpg 20231206_190643.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had him for about a week now. I have 2 clowns red leg crabs and snails that where already in there prior to adding him. He was always out if center of tank eating brine and marine flakes. I added a fire fish and diamond watchman gobie. He seemed to become more protective of his area when the firefish came near nothing major just swam swiftly towards the firefish with mouth opened. So yesterday I noticed he wasn't interested in any food and then he disappeared. He is hanging out in a rock and just stays there hard to see. I have fed several times since he has went into hiding. I also added a bubbler all perimeters are good.

So I'm wondering how long do I wait before I take some kind of action the picture of him posted is a few days old.

20231206_191055.jpg 20231201_091735.jpg 20231206_190643.jpg

Not feeding can be a serious symptom.
Is it breathing fast or scratching?

If you post a video, I might be able to assess it better than in just a photograph.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not been able to get a video since acting this way. I have not seen scratching or heavy breathing.

Not eating is just a generic symptom of a problem, not of a specific issue....that's why I was hoping a video would tell us more.

Jay

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever it was hit real quick little dude didnt make it. Don't know if you can tell if any thing was wrong from these pictures I didn't see anything in his gills just alot of sand in his mouth. The only thing I can say is he had a white spot on his head but that was there when I got him. You can see it in the picture. He was dead for about a couple of hours cause I seen him this morning behind some rocks. He did appear to be breathing heavy.

Attachments

• 20231209_114830.jpg
    20231209_114830.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231209_114852.jpg
    20231209_114852.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231209_114913.jpg
    20231209_114913.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if when I added this gobie and he stirs up all the fine dust if that created any problems for him. It's slowly filtering out still a little cloudy with sand dust I just cleaned all filters.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever it was hit real quick little dude didnt make it. Don't know if you can tell if any thing was wrong from these pictures I didn't see anything in his gills just alot of sand in his mouth. The only thing I can say is he had a white spot on his head but that was there when I got him. You can see it in the picture. He was dead for about a couple of hours cause I seen him this morning behind some rocks. He did appear to be breathing heavy.

The open mouth at death indicates an oxygen starvation issue. That can be from a gill disease, or a water quality problem (often low dissolved oxygen). Also, the pale area on the dead fish was not visible in the still photos. That can indicate a bacterial infection, but could also be a post-mortem artifact (but if the photos were taken within an hour or so of death, that shouldn't have shown like that).

Jay

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help yeah his mouth was packed with Sand and it was opened at death. I don't feel it's low oxygen. I have 2 power heads one spray bar and 2 airstones 75 gallon. I would guess a bacteria infection.i got him 10 days ago i got him on 29th of November.It's just weird he stopped eating on Thursday and went into hiding on Friday and dead today absolutely no signs of any problems except the no eating which was unusual cause he was always first to food. Whatever it was it was quick. The spots you see on front left of glass are air bubble I need to magnet off.

Attachments

• 20231209_231929~2.mp4
    72.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help yeah his mouth was packed with Sand and it was opened at death. I don't feel it's low oxygen. I have 2 power heads one spray bar and 2 airstones 75 gallon. I would guess a bacteria infection.i got him 10 days ago i got him on 29th of November.It's just weird he stopped eating on Thursday and went into hiding on Friday and dead today absolutely no signs of any problems except the no eating which was unusual cause he was always first to food. Whatever it was it was quick. The spots you see on front left of glass are air bubble I need to magnet off.

Yes - that is good aeration.

Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back