Royal Gramma Ich?

CudasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

I ordered a tank raised Royal Gramma from a fish store thats about 4 hours from me and noticed possible ich on his fins/body today. He arrived VERY stressed yesterday (his first day). Today he is swimming around and eating! I've got him in a 20 gal QT tank with a PVC pipe, HOB filter and heater. I'm only three months into the hobby so I would love some knowledgable eyes to look at him. I'm keeping his QT water quality pristine for him.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you post a clear video of the fish?
Not all white spots are ich, and ich usually isn't visible for a few days after arrival, so seeing spots this soon may not be ich.

Jay

OP
OP
C

CudasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you post a clear video of the fish?
Not all white spots are ich, and ich usually isn't visible for a few days after arrival, so seeing spots this soon may not be ich.

Jay
Good to know! The white spots are very spaced apart. Not sure why the attachment didn't upload the first time but should be good to go now!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! The white spots are very spaced apart. Not sure why the attachment didn't upload the first time but should be good to go now!

I see some possible ich spots on the fish. However, it is also breathing pretty fast. Early cases of ich don't cause that, so there is something else going on as well.

This post explains what background information can help us, at least to rule out some issues:

In you case, it could be water quality issues, or another gill disease like velvet.

Jay

OP
OP
C

CudasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info! My QT was set up on Wednesday with new salt water. The fish arrived Thursday and I already have done a 25% water change on Friday. He looks to be breathing normally and is eating well.

PH @ 7.8
Salinity @ 1.026

Here's a video from tonight.

Attachments

• 20240224_215215.mp4
    4.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates @ 0.1
Ammonia @ 0.16
Nitrates @ 0.4

I see some diffuse cloudiness on the fish's skin. That is likely excess mucus, from some skin irritation.

Watch that ammonia level - if it goes above 0.25, you'll need to manage it. Water changes don't do much for ammonia because without enough beneficial bacteria, it can build up faster than even 25% daily water changes can keep up with.

If you have bacteria seeded bio material you can move over to this tank, that will help. The "bacteria in a bottle" products can help as well.

I see you are in Canada. Without access to aquarium medications, you are pretty limited to how you can quarantine this fish. You should consider hyposalinity:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back