RSM Nano

jlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back after a break used to have a 1500l tank until a equipment fire seen me break everything and sell up but couldn’t stay away so got a rsm nano on the Black Friday sales tank has been setup with live sand and caribsea dry rock it has also been cycling now for 17 days with a mix of dr Tim’s one and only added on day one along with 60 drop amonium chloride then Fritz turbo start 900 on day 15 with 18 drops amonium I can now add ammonia and it’s gone by the next day according to my seneye only problem is my nitrite is off the test kit but my nitrate is at 0.02 does that seem ready to add a clownish

IMG_9931.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back after a break used to have a 1500l tank until a equipment fire seen me break everything and sell up but couldn’t stay away so got a rsm nano on the Black Friday sales tank has been setup with live sand and caribsea dry rock it has also been cycling now for 17 days with a mix of dr Tim’s one and only added on day one along with 60 drop amonium chloride then Fritz turbo start 900 on day 15 with 18 drops amonium I can now add ammonia and it’s gone by the next day according to my seneye only problem is my nitrite is off the test kit but my nitrate is at 0.02 does that seem ready to add a clownish

IMG_9931.jpeg
Don't add them until nitrite is zero. Nitrate test is unlikely to be accurate while nitrites are present.

OP
OP
jlg

jlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add them until nitrite is zero. Nitrate test is unlikely to be accurate while nitrites are present.
A lot of mixed answers on this with quite a few saying nitrite doesn’t matter and not to test for it since the tank is taking amonia and removing it overnight

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to test for nitrite once your cycle completes and it tests at zero, until that time nitrite very much does matter

OP
OP
jlg

jlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to test for nitrite once your cycle completes and it tests at zero, until that time nitrite very much does matter
Nitrite isn’t toxic though so why does it matter

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to wait, do what you want. Just offering the most logical advice I can, I personally like to avoid harm to my fish to the fullest extent possible

"Nitrite is formed by the conversion of ammonia by nitrifying bacteria. Nitrite is toxic to fish because it binds with the hemoglobin in fish's blood to form methemoglobin. Hemoglobin carries oxygen through the body while methemoglobin does not, so fish in high nitrite waters may suffocate even if sufficient oxygen is present. If enough methemoglobin is present in a fish's blood, it will cause the blood to appear brown instead of red. Consequently, nitrite toxicity is often called "brown blood disease.""

Source:

OP
OP
jlg

jlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to wait, do what you want. Just offering the most logical advice I can, I personally like to avoid harm to my fish to the fullest extent possible

"Nitrite is formed by the conversion of ammonia by nitrifying bacteria. Nitrite is toxic to fish because it binds with the hemoglobin in fish's blood to form methemoglobin. Hemoglobin carries oxygen through the body while methemoglobin does not, so fish in high nitrite waters may suffocate even if sufficient oxygen is present. If enough methemoglobin is present in a fish's blood, it will cause the blood to appear brown instead of red. Consequently, nitrite toxicity is often called "brown blood disease.""

Source:
I’m pretty sure that document is for fresh water fish since it mentions plants and also this
If the fish species in the tank will tolerate increased salinity, salt can be added to the aquarium to increase the level of chloride in the water. Chloride levels should be at least six times greater than nitrite levels. Chloride prevents the uptake of nitrite by the fish's blood thus eliminating the effects of brown blood disease.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, if you’re impatient, do as you wish. I wouldn’t recommend adding fish until your biological filter is able to fully process the ammonia fully from ammonia to nitrate in real time. I’m not sure why you’re looking for excuses here, we can’t stop you only offer advice.

OP
OP
jlg

jlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, if you’re impatient, do as you wish. I wouldn’t recommend adding fish until your biological filter is able to fully process the ammonia fully from ammonia to nitrate in real time. I’m not sure why you’re looking for excuses here, we can’t stop you only offer advice.
I’m not but I can as 1ppm ammonia and it’s gone within a day and last time I checked the dr Tim’s and the Fritz turbo start bottles both of which I used said you can put fish in straight away so 17 days should be enough?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll let others chime in if you don’t like my advice, but my advice is don’t add fish until your ammonia can be fully processed to nitrate within 24 hours. I’m of the school of belief that “add fish immediately” is reckless and unkind to the fish, unless you have started the system with a sufficient amount of pre cycled rock, sand or other bio-media from a mature system. This is a hobby of patience, if you wish to have long term success.

OP
OP
jlg

jlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll let others chime in if you don’t like my advice, but my advice is don’t add fish until your ammonia can be fully processed to nitrate within 24 hours. I’m of the school of belief that “add fish immediately” is reckless and unkind to the fish, unless you have started the system with a sufficient amount of pre cycled rock, sand or other bio-media from a mature system. This is a hobby of patience, if you wish to have long term success.
Okay so tank started with caribsea live sand and caribsea dry rock a bottle of dr Tim’s and at day 15 a bottle of Fritz turbo start I can now add 20 drops of amonium chloride which is about a 1/3rd what dr Tim’s says gets you 2ppm so I’m adding .7ppm of ammonia after 18 days and within 6-8 hours the majority is gone and it’s all gone within 24h I have 2 showing up on my Red Sea nitrate test kit so what else am I missing
Not trying to sound funny or anything

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand all that and those products are great, but if you aren’t reading 0 ammonia and nitrite, your cycle hasn’t concluded. Simple as that. I did the same as you (live sand, Fritz, Dr Tim’s) and took 6 weeks when starting my Red Sea reefer 350. 6 weeks is on the longer side and it was annoying to wait, but you get my gist.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria needs time to properly populate the surfaces of your tank, the timeline for this is not set in stone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back