OP
OP
Ryan15236

Ryan15236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have a lot of the work done. Now I can start thinking about stocking. I am just struggling with do I want to let the tank cycle for a month or two on its own or do I want to seed it with LR from the LFS and get the stocking rolling lol

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am busy with life I let it cycle for a month or two. If am antsy with anticipation and got nothing on my calender I seed. Bacteria in a bottle products have come a long ways, if you seed you might want to consider using one as well.

OP
OP
Ryan15236

Ryan15236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah seachem stability I have used in the past with good results but I really don't want to rush anything either. When I do decide to stock would you do fish or corals first?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a coral person and find them to be less of a hassle, I always start with corals. In the LPS group the Euphyllias (torch, hammer, frogspawn) always did really well for me in newer set ups.

Fish decision are so much harder for me. In such a large tank fish are a lot harder to catch too.

OP
OP
Ryan15236

Ryan15236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I will start with stocking some corals. I think I will probably let the tank cycle and mature some on its own. Need to try to get a nice pod population going as well.

Added 70-80 lbs of marcorocks sand. We will see how it looks when the dust settles. Still working on filling up the tank as well

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to start with corals first too. If you get a softie or LPS, they are a quick indicator when something is wrong or off and they are forgiving enough to let you fix it (if you act quickly).

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looks like it is going to be a great tank! I like the setup, looks clean!

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread, man.
I might be wrong but using metal pipe hanger and strapping might end up turning into rust and possibly contaminating your tank.

OP
OP
Ryan15236

Ryan15236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been awhile since updating and some things have happened to the tank. I seeded the base rock with some live rock and went ahead and added some corals. This was about 3 weeks ago. All has been well. All corals look great and seem to be doing great as well. I got a pair of black ice clowns last weekend and they are doing great as well. I have a blue sided fairy wrasse and a firefish on hold at the LFS that I am getting tomorrow. Got a few goodies in today. My red sea test kit, Eheim fish feeder, and BRS 2 part dosing package came in to keep me a little busy. I will post a few pictures but bare with me. Tank is looking a little ragged right now. Going through some diatoms, the glass isn't too clean, and my phone/me sucks at taking pictures.

OP
OP
Ryan15236

Ryan15236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns

Duncan frag, Jason fox lepto and some mushrooms in this pic

Same plus some closed blue hornet zoas

Some sort of brain. I love this coral

Gold maul Palythoa

Whammin watermelons, fire and ice, and a nice hammer frag

OP
OP
Ryan15236

Ryan15236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some netting to and thought I could simply cover the canopy top with it and it would be fine. It will probably work for now but I am definitely doing to go ahead and get some window frame and just make some screens to sit on the tank. Will be much cleaner, easier to work around, and effective.

OP
OP
Ryan15236

Ryan15236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders light has also been a little fussy lately. It has been shutting off randomly at times. Got up with Logan and he said probably faulty wifi module and/or remote so he sent me some replacements. Well I made the repair and installed the new wifi module and it wouldn't control on of the channels on one side of the light. Needless to say new module came out and old went back in. Guess I will have to try again whenever I can get some new parts. Hopefully get it figured out. Probably going to put a hold on getting more corals till all lighting issues are resolved and I make sure I have all parameters under control. Little low calcium, and alkalinity. Water change tomorrow, retest calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium, dose whatever needs to be dosed, get new wrasse and firefish. Sounds like a good day. Plus college football is back. GO VOLS!

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking good man, I hope you get the lighting issue worked out soon!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 89 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back