Salifert Potassium Test Availability

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here had any recent luck finding Salifert potassium test kits for sale? Or know why they are no longer available?

They are out of stock at BRS. I spoke with a customer service rep and he said their system shows them as being backordered for over a year. Most other online sellers show as out of stock. I ordered from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon two weeks ago, but it hasn't shipped yet and Amazon now lists it as "currently unavailable." I ordered from another website over a week ago and that seller hasn't shipped yet, and they now list it as "sold out." I tried a third online store and got an order confirmation, but now they don't even list the Salifert potassium test on their website.

BRS says the Red Sea potassium test kit is discontinued, but it get's poor reviews anyway as being hard to see the color change.

I had an ICP test show my potassium as low and I've started raising it over a 10-day period, but I would like to start testing as I near the target level to make sure I don't overshoot or undershoot.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ICP test show my potassium as low and I've started raising it over a 10-day period, but I would like to start testing as I near the target level to make sure I don't overshoot or undershoot.

What was the value, and what is the salinity? Low potassium is often just low salinity. :)

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here had any recent luck finding Salifert potassium test kits for sale? Or know why they are no longer available?

They are out of stock at BRS. I spoke with a customer service rep and he said their system shows them as being backordered for over a year. Most other online sellers show as out of stock. I ordered from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon two weeks ago, but it hasn't shipped yet and Amazon now lists it as "currently unavailable." I ordered from another website over a week ago and that seller hasn't shipped yet, and they now list it as "sold out." I tried a third online store and got an order confirmation, but now they don't even list the Salifert potassium test on their website.

BRS says the Red Sea potassium test kit is discontinued, but it get's poor reviews anyway as being hard to see the color change.

Europa changed its chemical transportation regulation a year ago, which means delivery for a lot chemicals is now restrited. It was another rètard moment of our dear EU politicians.
Low range Hanna phosphate tests arent available here anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if the Salifert potassium tests are another causality of this brain fart.
Compared to Hanna Instruments which has several facilities around the world, Salifert is a pretty small company which only produces products in the netherlands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the value, and what is the salinity? Low potassium is often just low salinity. :)
You had looked at the full results and suggested raising the potassium, but to answer your question: Potassium was 307.1 mg/l and salinity was 33.61, but I don't trust that salinity result. The tank water reads 1.0261 using a Tropic Marin high precision hydrometer from BRS. Also, I calibrated my refractometer to 35 using a calibration standard mixed according to your recipe, and the tank reads 35.

OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Europa changed its chemical transportation regulation a year ago, which means delivery for a lot chemicals is now restrited. It was another rètard moment of our dear EU politicians.
Low range Hanna phosphate tests arent available here anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if the Salifert potassium tests are another causality of this brain fart.
Compared to Hanna Instruments which has several facilities around the world, Salifert is a pretty small company which only produces products in the netherlands.
I suspected a supply chain problem with one of the reagents used in the test, and this could explain it.

OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem here in the UK. Been waiting for a month an no sign of it.
Of the three I've ordered from, one canceled the order and refunded the payment even though I never contacted them, one swears I just need to wait another week and see if it comes in with their next shipment, and the third (a 3rd-party seller through Amazon) still says arriving June 6-7, although as of June 3 it hasn't shipped yet.

OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I ordered from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon shows as having been shipped, but now Salifert potassium test kits don't even show up when searching on Amazon.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I ordered from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon shows as having been shipped, but now Salifert potassium test kits don't even show up when searching on Amazon.
Ditto
I only found it on Amazon.
I ordered it and two days later, Amazon cancelled the order.
Have used this kit for many years. It has proven very reliable.
I am sending in a Triton test, primarily for the Potassium.
Anyone know how to contact Habib?

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems there are "supply chain" issues with the Salifert Potassium Test kit.
This has been an extremely reliable, and for me, indispensable test for Potassium.
Are you aware of any other (reasonably priced) tests for K out there?
DIY?
Thanks

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto
I only found it on Amazon.
I ordered it and two days later, Amazon cancelled the order.
Have used this kit for many years. It has proven very reliable.
I am sending in a Triton test, primarily for the Potassium.
Anyone know how to contact Habib?
The one I ordered from Amazon was finally delivered. I was expecting some issue with it, since it seems like I bought the last one in existence, and there was: The seller covered over the original expiration date (09-2023) with a new sticker that said 07-2024, trying to make it appear that it's good for another year instead of just 3 months.

OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems there are "supply chain" issues with the Salifert Potassium Test kit.
This has been an extremely reliable, and for me, indispensable test for Potassium.
Are you aware of any other (reasonably priced) tests for K out there?
DIY?
Thanks
The only other commercially-available test that I've found is from Red Sea, but BRS lists it as discontinued, which their phone rep confirmed when I called to ask about the Salifert. I did see it still available for sale at a number of other websites, but the Red Sea test has a lot of bad reviews due to the fact you have to do color matching, trying to figure out slight differences in shades, unlike Salifert which has a dramatic color change.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I ordered from Amazon was finally delivered. I was expecting some issue with it, since it seems like I bought the last one in existence, and there was: The seller covered over the original expiration date (09-2023) with a new sticker that said 07-2024, trying to make it appear that it's good for another year instead of just 3 months.
Not surprised.
I expected that if I had to accept the test kit from a, shall we say, 2nd (or 3rd) tier vendor there would be a catch. Such as a short, or even past, expiration date.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other commercially-available test that I've found is from Red Sea, but BRS lists it as discontinued, which their phone rep confirmed when I called to ask about the Salifert. I did see it still available for sale at a number of other websites, but the Red Sea test has a lot of bad reviews due to the fact you have to do color matching, trying to figure out slight differences in shades, unlike Salifert which has a dramatic color change.
the red sea test is awful. I also never trust the results it gives me. i think most prefer salifert since it's so much more user friendly and consistent.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on whether the potassium kits will be manufactured soon?

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on whether the potassium kits will be manufactured soon?
They won't ever be manufactured again for reasons I have already stated above.

Nothing to see here anymore except desperation and lost hope.
Carry on.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't ever be manufactured again for reasons I have already stated above.

Nothing to see here anymore except desperation and lost hope.
Carry on.

Well thats not good. The next question would be is there another K test available that is trustworthy?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back