Salinity Probes that work with the Apex

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Neptune probe works, like a weather person, it’s not accurate. Is your pasco accurate?
Surprisingly its OK. Accuracy is relative but frankly consistent. Within .5 ppt of a refractometer every time I have checked since I put it in service. I also have a neptune branded probe and its about the same in terms of accuracy. I wouldnt trust them as a be all, but its enough to know if something is really out of whack (or the ato dumped in a ton of water)!

BTW the Pasco 10x probe is what we decided the Neptune is based on. Just with an proprietary connector for neptune versus standard BNC for everyone else.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Probe:
Screenshot_20231210-110219.png

Pasco Probe:
Screenshot_20231210-110143.png

Both listed:
Screenshots_2023-12-10-11-04-23.png

I admit the temp compensation is prolly bananas with both tanks, but both temp probes are at least 5 years old and the A1 probe I'm thinking is +- 10 years old. That one was replaced with a used one from my apex Jr IIRC.

Last edited:

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that a new Pasco probe works similar to a new Neptune probe. Not better, not worse. It suffers from the same susceptibilities as the Neptune probe. For instance, if you place the probe in a location where it will tend to catch bubbles, you will have variable readings from both probes.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it would work. My understanding is that is is an order of magnitude different. Perhaps with a resistor or something like that. But I’m just guessing.

A3LXK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it would work. My understanding is that is is an order of magnitude different. Perhaps with a resistor or something like that. But I’m just guessing.
So the 10x is the way to go? I just found them on Aliexpress, can you tell me if this is the right one?
Screenshot_20231224_021242_AliExpress.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hundreds if not thousands of people reporting problems with thus probe does say something about the build quality.
There are hundreds of expertise reefers with way more experience than I have also acknowledged issues with the Neptune salinity probe.

For everyone who complains online, there are thousands who have no problems and thus no need to complain or even read the threads.

All brands of EC probes have issues in a very dirty environment such as a marine tank.

There are many methods that can be used to give the probe an easier time, however most folks simply settle on using a mounting method that does not capture bubbles but has sufficient flow to help avoid the buildup of organics.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone who complains online, there are thousands who have no problems and thus no need to complain or even read the threads.

All brands of EC probes have issues in a very dirty environment such as a marine tank.

There are many methods that can be used to give the probe an easier time, however most folks simply settle on using a mounting method that does not capture bubbles but has sufficient flow to help avoid the buildup of organics.
I agree that all the probes seem to be prone to the same issues. My issue is more with the huge price difference that Neptune charges for the probe that is not better (nor worse) than the others.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found them on Aliexpress, can you tell me if this is the right one
I can't tell. If it says 10X it should be, but I can't confirm 100%. I can just confirm that the one that I bought and shared the information here (Pasco 10X) works for me. Keep in mind that you will also have to make the adapter.

Last edited:

A3LXK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell. If it says 10X it should be, but I can't confirm 100%. I can just confirm that the one that I bought and shared the information here (Pasco 10X) works for me. Keep in mind that you will also have to make the adapter.
I am aware that i need to make a adapter or solder the cable from the old probe to the new one. That is no problem, I can do both cause I have a electrical background.

The Pasco are no longer in production so that is no option unfortunatly.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that i need to make a adapter or solder the cable from the old probe to the new one. That is no problem, I can do both cause I have a electrical background.

The Pasco are no longer in production so that is no option unfortunatly.
I think there are high chances that the AliExpress one will work. If you try it, please let us know! Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back