Salinity Probes that work with the Apex

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tip, much more open, so fewer bubbles? We'll see how it runs over the next day or so.

Attachments

• 20230711_150302.jpg
    20230711_150302.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 91

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tip, much more open, so fewer bubbles? We'll see how it runs over the next day or so.
Tried the bnc to minimize din adapter from above and that did not work. So, soldered to a mini din (svideo cable) I cut in half.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after it stabilized, this probe seems to work well. No bubbles, but it's only been a fee days, but it works and was only $30.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230714_063700_APEXFusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20230714_063700_APEXFusion.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 83

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: after 30 days of continuous use, the pasco x10 probe is working ok. I have it hooked up to a apex classic w/ PM2 module (both black label). Typical .1+- drift on occasion, but I chalk it up to electrical interference. I checked it against an ice cap salinity tester (calibrated) and a refractometer (calibrated) and numbers check out good.

Last edited:

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, it works just as the original one, same kind of drifts. I can’t say it is notoriously better or worse. The only thing I can say is that it works and is a lot cheaper.

I hope this opens the door for finding other compatible conductivity probes perhaps with better designs (less prone to accumulating bubbles, better cable shielding, etc) that have less drifting.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it that companies have to make money, but in this case, come on Neptune... +300% markup for the probe is bonkers. Same thing with the LLS strips, prism sensors for the atk or fmm, etc...

It would be different if its was made in house but its not. Just tweaked enough to 'require' the proprietary hardware which kills me. I'm glas there are enough of us trying to 'break out' the Neptune ecosystem so to speak.

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it that companies have to make money, but in this case, come on Neptune... +300% markup for the probe is bonkers. Same thing with the LLS strips, prism sensors for the atk or fmm, etc...

It would be different if its was made in house but its not. Just tweaked enough to 'require' the proprietary hardware which kills me. I'm glas there are enough of us trying to 'break out' the Neptune ecosystem so to speak.
As for the LSS sensor it is made by Milone Technologies, I had a Neptune tape die, and just replaced the sensor with one from Milone. Used the same body, just swapped the tape. Had to remove some epoxy, but easy enough. www milonetech com

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pointed out the LLS in another thread back when it first hit the streets. We use them in liquid storage applications @ work for years now. Its insane that Neptune swears its innovation and it just tweaking another product and massively marking it up.

Random question @kylarse, Is it a 4-20ma or a 0-5vdc application thats compatible with the FMM. I'm suspecting its 0-5vdc but we only have the 4-20ma ones at work.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, the custom connector on the apex probe is a silly way to force users to buy only theirs. Thats one reason why Hydros on the X10 just used a standard BNC port, any K1 or K10 conductivity probe can be used.

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pointed out the LLS in another thread back when it first hit the streets. We use them in liquid storage applications @ work for years now. Its insane that Neptune swears its innovation and it just tweaking another product and massively marking it up.

Random question @kylarse, Is it a 4-20ma or a 0-5vdc application thats compatible with the FMM. I'm suspecting its 0-5vdc but we only have the 4-20ma ones at work.
I didn't remove enough epoxy to see the full board but also believe it is 0-5vdc. My 35" sensor died and would not read below 15 inches. I just swapped the strip for a 32" from Milone and it worked perfectly after calibration. Since it was not under warranty, it was cheaper to experiment. I used the standard eTape, not the chemical, since this is in my 35 gallon brute for RODI water.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrated and works fine. I took an old S-Video cable, and cut it in half to get the mini DIN connector, and soldered the pins as shown earlier in this thread.
Excellent, did you order that probe from the link you suppled or another vendor?

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, did you order that probe from the link you suppled or another vendor?
I bought it on Ali Express,

The one they have pictured is not the same one they sent. I put a picture of what I received in my post, the tip seems better on what I received, and that is the one made by the vendor in my earlier link.

You can also use the Inquiry link on the page I posted earlier to go right to the vendor. They can make one with the mini-DIN connector as a custom item.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As for the LSS sensor it is made by Milone Technologies, I had a Neptune tape die, and just replaced the sensor with one from Milone. Used the same body, just swapped the tape. Had to remove some epoxy, but easy enough. www milonetech com

Their sensors are more expensive at this point unless you're just referring to spare individual components.

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their sensors are more expensive at this point unless you're just referring to spare individual components.
Very closely priced, a 32 inch complete sensor from MiloneTech is $134.99 for standard, or $144.99 for chemical. A 35 inch sensor from Neptune is $109.99. I don't know if the Neptune one is the standard or chemical. I just replaced the tape, so it was cheaper than buying a new complete sensor, but this would be a good example of Neptune not raising the price much higher than the OEM. You can go to Neptune for support if their sensor has issues, so you are paying for that in the extra price, plus they made it availble in their ecosystem rather than everyone needing to build their own systems. The extra is worth it.

bwagner_vt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut the cord off my old probe and solder/shrink wrapped the probe wire and then did the same to the shield. Worked great!

I did only solder the probe wire and did not do the shield on the first attempt…it did not work…you must connect the shield as well.

I did order a PS-2116A and a PS-2116 of eBay. The PS-2116A came in first and it worked. When the PS-2116 arrives I’ll try that too and report back.

Thanks for this thread! $200 for a Neptune probe is ridiculous, was about to just buy and older apex of eBay for probes and spare parts.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just cut the cord off my old probe and solder/shrink wrapped the probe wire and then did the same to the shield. Worked great!

I did only solder the probe wire and did not do the shield on the first attempt…it did not work…you must connect the shield as well.

I did order a PS-2116A and a PS-2116 of eBay. The PS-2116A came in first and it worked. When the PS-2116 arrives I’ll try that too and report back.

Thanks for this thread! $200 for a Neptune probe is ridiculous, was about to just buy and older apex of eBay for probes and spare parts.
Are you saying that the probe is accurate?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back