OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, this was the yellow fish on the night that it died. I don’t know if the picture is the best but that’s all I had taken you could kind of see it has like a giant white spot on its side/bottom anyways breathing very heavy and also it was just staying at the bottom of the tank

Attachments

• IMG_7387.jpeg
    IMG_7387.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I order this like you said

Hanna Instruments Checker Copper High Range Colorimeter​

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also I just want to say thank you guys so much for helping me out and walking me through this tough end scary situation, but I’ll definitely keep you guys updated as I get more information or if something changes or if everything is good

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, everyone else has already identified your issue, and you've gotten medicine for the remaining fish. Two things though, you should have probably moved your fish into the quarantine tank and not your inverts. Unless you replace all the sand and rock, you run the risk of having copper in the tank pretty much forever now... You use the quarantine tank to administer medicine, and the display tank to show your fish and inverts.

Another thing, you've got the Fluval Flex 32.5, this tank is much too small for tangs of any sort. It's not even 3 feet in the longest dimension, and tangs love to swim. If you put fish in an undersized aquarium it stresses them out, weakening their immune systems, which allows disease to run rampant. Fish selection is not as much about gallons (though those count too) as it is about swim room. You're going to want to keep to fish on the smaller end of the scale. Good fish for that tank (because I owned one) are:

Blennies
Cardinals
Chromis
Clowns
Gobies
Dottybacks
Hawkfish
Filefish
Grammas, etc.

There are a few others, but those will likely be the most popular of your choices.

Stay away from Angel's, Tangs, Butterfly's, Rabbits, Surgeons, etc. You just simply don't have enough space for those types of fish.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, everyone else has already identified your issue, and you've gotten medicine for the remaining fish. Two things though, you should have probably moved your fish into the quarantine tank and not your inverts. Unless you replace all the sand and rock, you run the risk of having copper in the tank pretty much forever now... You use the quarantine tank to administer medicine, and the display tank to show your fish and inverts.

Another thing, you've got the Fluval Flex 32.5, this tank is much too small for tangs of any sort. It's not even 3 feet in the longest dimension, and tangs love to swim. If you put fish in an undersized aquarium it stresses them out, weakening their immune systems, which allows disease to run rampant. Fish selection is not as much about gallons (though those count too) as it is about swim room. You're going to want to keep to fish on the smaller end of the scale. Good fish for that tank (because I owned one) are:

Blennies
Cardinals
Chromis
Clowns
Gobies
Dottybacks
Hawkfish
Filefish
Grammas, etc.

There are a few others, but those will likely be the most popular of your choices.

Stay away from Angel's, Tangs, Butterfly's, Rabbits, Surgeons, etc. You just simply don't have enough space for those types of fish.
Thank you so much for that. That was also very informative. I do appreciate you telling me that the place that I went to to get my fish. They never told me about that I’m actually very disappointed in them for not informing me about that and on top of that I paid a whopping $90 for that fish but I do appreciate you tell me what type of fish to keep and proceed with and if I read that correctly you also have a Fluval flex tank if so, what is the best UV light for that tank because I recently bought one on Amazon but that’s more of a temporary one because I bought one from BulkReefSupply but it won’t come in till tomorrow and I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the protein skimmer that fluvial makes for that tank is there any pointers or tips? You can give me about that because I have one, but I was also doing some research after the fact that it should be running for eight hours. No more no less is that correct to your knowledge? And just one more thing if the velvet parasite right that is a parasite correct is in my mean tank is that specifically only in the fish or in the actual tank itself because I was also confused about that, so if there’s me some type of clarification on that would be amazing

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another quick question what would you say the most recommended number of fish to be in the tank?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for that. That was also very informative. I do appreciate you telling me that the place that I went to to get my fish. They never told me about that I’m actually very disappointed in them for not informing me about that and on top of that I paid a whopping $90 for that fish but I do appreciate you tell me what type of fish to keep and proceed with and if I read that correctly you also have a Fluval flex tank if so, what is the best UV light for that tank because I recently bought one on Amazon but that’s more of a temporary one because I bought one from BulkReefSupply but it won’t come in till tomorrow and I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the protein skimmer that fluvial makes for that tank is there any pointers or tips? You can give me about that because I have one, but I was also doing some research after the fact that it should be running for eight hours. No more no less is that correct to your knowledge? And just one more thing if the velvet parasite right that is a parasite correct is in my mean tank is that specifically only in the fish or in the actual tank itself because I was also confused about that, so if there’s me some type of clarification on that would be amazing
I owned a flex previously. That skimmer is absolute trash, get yourself an IceCap Nano or one of the Tunze ones as soon as you are able. Over 20 years in this hobby and I couldn't tune that skimmer properly to save my life.

When you say UV Light, I assume you mean a UV Sterilizer... a tube looking object that water flows through? To be honest, if that's what you mean, there's not really any room for a decent one, coralife makes the twist, but the bulbs go out on that thing ridiculously quick and it's just not worth it. A UV Sterilizer is also not really a necessity.

However, if you're talking about a tank light that contains UV, you can run 2 AI primes on the tank and they're much better than the stock lights.

As far as the Velvet goes, it's in the tank, but you can run the tank fallow for a period, keeping the fish in the quarantine, and the velvet will eventually die off because it doesn't have fish to attach to. But getting copper out after the fact is a bit more of a chore.

As far as the number of fish, a good rule of thumb is a maximum of 1" of fish per gallon of aquarium. So for that tank, I'd say a maximum adult size of 30" total. You can see these numbers on Live Aquaria or on Bluezoo Aquatics pretty readily while putting a fish list together. Now, that's not a hard rule, it's more of a guideline. I had 13 fish in my tank without too much of a problem. But I also had other places I could put the fish if I ever noticed any aggression due to overcrowding (there never was any).

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a little update I know I haven’t been active recently, but I was trying to get my quarantine tank set up. It’s fully set up now. I put all my invertebrates in there because I put copper in the tank to officially kill it or to my understanding to get rid of it or to cure the tank and I will say I did get a small UV sterilizer from Amazon the other day it came in on Saturday night and I will say there is a ready a big difference in the tank but unfortunately the yellow tang did die but my two clown fish and the other fish that’s left. I believe it’s called a 6 line wrasse but he is starting to breed a little heavy I could see from his gills, but I will provide a picture of the copper liquid I used
I’m glad to hear you’ve started treating the tank, what product did you end up going with? I’m sorry to hear your tang died :( that always sucks. As for your wrasse, when did it start breathing heavy? After you put in the copper? it’s most likely stressed out

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another quick question what would you say the most recommended number of fish to be in the tank?
for a 30 I would go with 2 clowns, pistol shrimp and shrimp goby pair and a midas blenny or bicolor blenny, fantastic personalities. That’s just me though, look at royal grammas, banggai and pajama cardinals, fire fish-midas blenny might bully a fire fish though and fire fish are prone to jumping so you will need a tight lid. Whatever you decide on I would stick with 3-5 of those above fish, they will live happily in a 30.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one going to point out the obvious?

2 tangs, 1 being a hippo in a 32G!

Even if they had been Qt'ed, they would have died from stress.

OP, I don't know who's selling you these fish for such a small tank, but I would stop going to that LFS.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP, I don't know who's selling you these fish for such a small tank, but I would stop going to that LFS.
I was trying to let him figure that out on his own with his own research but tang police got here before he could clearly lol

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was trying to let him figure that out on his own with his own research but tang police got here before he could clearly lol

Umm, I pointed it out in my first reply....

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it isn’t obvious for some people new to the hobby, I told him to just research what fish will do best in his tank, no issue here
after owning that tank for 3-4 years, and being in a facebook group for that tank for that same length of time, I can tell you, a lot of people attempt to put fish that are way too large into it. I mean one guy put a moray in it... The worst part, people in the group were cheering him on rather than advocating for the hard life the Moray was going to have. I don't know what it is about this tank, I think the vertically curved front makes it seem way larger than it is or something, lol... The other painful thing is the swim room which is why I brought it up in the first place. You could get a 150 gallon that is perfect for tangs (5' x 2' x 2'), or a 150 that is sub-optimal for tangs (36" x 36" x 27"). So it's usually better to just point out the error IMO. There are nuances that just aren't explained well elsewhere.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after owning that tank for 3-4 years, and being in a facebook group for that tank for that same length of time, I can tell you, a lot of people attempt to put fish that are way too large into it. I mean one guy put a moray in it... The worst part, people in the group were cheering him on rather than advocating for the hard life the Moray was going to have. I don't know what it is about this tank, I think the vertically curved front makes it seem way larger than it is or something, lol... The other painful thing is the swim room which is why I brought it up in the first place. You could get a 150 gallon that is perfect for tangs (5' x 2' x 2'), or a 150 that is sub-optimal for tangs (36" x 36" x 27"). So it's usually better to just point out the error IMO. There are nuances that just aren't explained well elsewhere.
alright, good point, didn’t even see it’s been 4 years. don’t know how you know it’s been 3-4 years, he said he’s had it for 2 1/2 months

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back