San Francisco brine shrimp

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to brineshrimpdirect SF strains of brine shrimp, they are smaller? Like the size of rotifers, could I use them as a first food because I have no luck with rotifers :3

C23D6EBE-C004-4948-8F72-8EC6CC31D72E.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yes that chart is about right ..SFB shrimp are a lil smaller than GSL shrimp ...
still I thought they were 2x bigger than rotifers...
Weird you re having issues with rotifers, heck I quit raising them as they can get everywhere and screw up phyto cultures if not careful

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that chart is about right ..SFB shrimp are a lil smaller than GSL shrimp ...
still I thought they were 2x bigger than rotifers...
Weird you re having issues with rotifers, heck I quit raising them as they can get everywhere and screw up phyto cultures if not careful
Mine just constantly crash

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are smaller, but most marine species don’t do particularly well on brine shrimp alone. They lack a lot of essential fatty acids and typically leads to what is known as sudden fright syndrome. They die of shock easily. The typical recommendation is to gut load them to improve the HUFA profile.

Jen over at Colchester Pets was able to raise some peppermint shrimp to adulthood on brine shrimp alone, though the survival rate wasn’t great, but it is an amazing start.

Copepod nauplii and ciliates (and a yet undetermined source that is filling in the gaps) are more nutritious for the larvae. They avoid the explicit need to gut load while providing a better balanced diet. First foods has been the biggest hurdle to being able to successfully breed at home without it being extremely labor and resource intensive seeing as we don’t typically have access to the same resources as the labs just due to differences in scale and how that effects overall cost.

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are smaller, but most marine species don’t do particularly well on brine shrimp alone. They lack a lot of essential fatty acids and typically leads to what is known as sudden fright syndrome. They die of shock easily. The typical recommendation is to gut load them to improve the HUFA profile.

Jen over at Colchester Pets was able to raise some peppermint shrimp to adulthood on brine shrimp alone, though the survival rate wasn’t great, but it is an amazing start.

Copepod nauplii and ciliates (and a yet undetermined source that is filling in the gaps) are more nutritious for the larvae. They avoid the explicit need to gut load while providing a better balanced diet. First foods has been the biggest hurdle to being able to successfully breed at home without it being extremely labor and resource intensive seeing as we don’t typically have access to the same resources as the labs just due to differences in scale and how that effects overall cost.
Yea I will also be feeding parvacalanus copepods
why can’t I spell

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I will also be feeding parvacalanus copepods
why can’t I spell
Awesome!
Parvo seems to be one of the critical species for aquaculture. I keep contemolating artemia as a backup emergency food source. I’d be interested in seeing data on the energy profile and size differences between hatchable decapsulated San Francisco and the standard eggs.

You aren’t far off. The second a is an o (too much time reading and searching for research papers that I don’t have access to. I need this pandemic over so I can get into the university library again). Parvocalanus.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 122 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 135 47.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back