Sanitizing water storage containers?

elmexotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do most people pull there storage containers off line and sanitize them?

I have a 55 gallon storage container that I just had tested and figured out it was the source of bacteria that was causing my cyanobacteria (red algae) in my tank. Have you heard of this before?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO/DI? I don't do anything to it. It has a sealed lid and only RO/DI goes in it. My salt water mixing station gets washed with vinegar/water every few months or sooner if any build up is noted.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 5g buckets and a 10g gatorade cooler. Didnt even consider contamination as they hold ro water. Interresting. You found bacteria in yours? Do you use them for more than holding water?

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be as prudent to sanitize your holding containers occasionally, as it is to sanitize your RO/DI unit on occasion(annually).

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do most people pull there storage containers off line and sanitize them?

I have a 55 gallon storage container that I just had tested and figured out it was the source of bacteria that was causing my cyanobacteria (red algae) in my tank. Have you heard of this before?
What test did you do and what bacteria was found?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO/DI ATO storage is a 23 gallon Rubbermaid rectangular recycling can that has been in use 8 years now and conly taken out of service and cleaned/sanitized twice. TDS is still 0 in and out.
To sanitize use no more than a capfull or two of regular unscented bleach per gallon of water. Fresh bleach is 30,000 to 50,000 PPM chlorine so very strong and hard to rinse out if you use too much on plastics.

OP
OP
elmexotics

elmexotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test did you do and what bacteria was found?
I had it tested by our local water supply. They said the bacteria was off the charts.

Started the cleaning/sanitizing today. They told me to do a mixture of vinegar and backing soda first. Rinse multiple times, then do a bleach water soak afterwards and then rinse, rinse , rinse and use a chlorine neutralizer.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This buy goes a month between running his RODI and his RODI canisters kept splitting. Turns out bacteria growth was creating gas pressure with nowhere to go. I don't see any reason storage containers can't also grow bacteria. Thanks for the thread OP, a good heads up for us all.

Thread at reef central
Triple-S Fish Ranch - 1700gal 164” x 48” x 56” SPS peninsula build
post 833

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never done it and I've used Brute cans for 20 years. I'd be surprised in the RO/DI water was the problem. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it tested by our local water supply. They said the bacteria was off the charts.

Who cares? Unless you or a pet are drinking it (which I do not recommend for this reason), I can't see the bacteria that would be present in RO/DI water are any sort of problem for a reef tank. Reef tanks are filled with bacteria. Foods we feed likely are too. We drive bacterial growth with organic carbon. We rely on bacteria to perform the nitrogen cycle. Bacteria are not necessarily a problem. :)

That said, if there were huge gobs of visible bacteria in the RO/DI water storage container, I'd clean it. But mine stay perfectly clean after years and years of use.

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares? Unless you or a pet are drinking it (which I do not recommend for this reason), I can't see the bacteria that would be present in RO/DI water are any sort of problem for a reef tank. Reef tanks are filled with bacteria. Foods we feed likely are too. We drive bacterial growth with organic carbon. We rely on bacteria to perform the nitrogen cycle. Bacteria are not necessarily a problem. :)

That said, if there were huge gobs of visible bacteria in the RO/DI water storage container, I'd clean it. But mine stay perfectly clean after years and years of use.

Even if there were bacteria in the stored water with it being from FW wouldn't it be killed off from the SW?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if there were bacteria in the stored water with it being from FW wouldn't it be killed off from the SW?

Most of it likely would. The rest might be food for tank creatures. :)

Doc Holiday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. I agree with Randy, but what about the mixing container. After while it gets caked with that brown gunk (anti clumping agent for salt mixes?).

DaveJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are in the garage, the RO/DI gets acid washed twice in the summer and again around the new year. My salt mixing tank gets the same treatment every couple of months.

burning2nd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling a old thread cause i got some brain storming,

ive always had a 30-50gallon fresh RODI container in house

I now use mine to feed the ice makers in the fridges and the whole house humidifier, BUT the pattern is the same.. No mater how you clean it dry it, vinegar rise and repeat after a year or so, there is a slime build up..

The slime is not harmful in anyway, We drink the water all the time... (*never dip your hand in the Ro tube)

the reason i am here, HAS anyone ever experimented with additives that are safe to help prolong cleanliness of the RODI holding tank *exc small amount of vinegar OR bleach That is reef safe?

(im not suggestion bleach but an example)

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 6-7 months I was my rodi water storage top off with water and some vinegar. Let it air dry and one more water rinse and back it goes to doing its job.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back