SBB - 275 Auctions up now + 80 WYSWYG Corals. Click now to Join!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bonus nudis!

So does this make you the residential nudi expert? The nudist?

The Simpsons Reaction GIF

Definitely not an expert, but what I think is fun for me in the hobby is learning new things. That is also why I culture phyto and pods. I think I'm going to start a daphnia and rotifers as well. Waiting for my clowns to breed... If you don't know, I have a longfin black ice clown and a another black snowflake, I wanted to breed longfin clowns to be longfin black snowflakes.

I was wondering what else I could "grow" other than corals. I'm wondering if there are some neat types of macro algaes or I was even thinking of trying the DIY PNS bacteria cultures.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Kasrift . You know what this is. I magnified with phone and it moves
It's one of the 'bristles" on the nudibranch. They drop them if you poke them or jostle them too much, I think it's like how a lizard drops it's tail. It's one of the reasons why I mentioned people should put a little piece of rock in the jar for them to attach to and then placing that in the tank.

Unfortunately that doesn't work with shipping them, so I have to blow them off any surface with a pipette, then use a pipette that I cut the end off to make it wider and suck them up and spit them out into the shipping jar. That stresses them and they sometimes drop a few of those bristles from their back in the tank where I am taking them from or into the jar that I put them in. They might drop one from shipping too if the water is jostling around.

I haven't watched one long enough, but I'd guess if it just came off of a nudibranch that it might move.

Last edited:

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's one of the 'bristles" on the nudibranch. They drop them if you poke them or jostle them too much, I think it's like how a lizard drops it's tail. It's one of the reasons why I mentioned people should put a little piece of rock in the jar for them to attach to and then placing that in the tank.

Unfortunately that doesn't work with shipping them, so I have to blow them off any surface with a pipette, then use a pipette when I cut the end off to make it wider and suck them up and spit them out into the shipping jar. That stresses them and they sometimes drop a few of those bristles from their back in the tank where I am taking them from.
Thank you. Too bad they don't grow another nudis from that

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you. Too bad they don't grow another nudis from that
Btw if you want to experiment with that, try gently "rolling" a nudibranch off the side of the jar with your finger. They bunch up and get mad and almost inevitably one of their "bristles"/hairs, whatever you want to call those spikes on their back will fall off.

They worried me when I first moved them and one fell off since I read they are fragile, it doesn't seem to affect them too much. I haven't had one die or anything from that, but they come off very easily.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have 2. They just hang upside down literally right below the aiptasia and just sway back and forth.
You might have camel shrimp them and not a peppermint. They look really alike and I think stores can mislabel them. Look at the white stripes, it's the best way to distinguish.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had a peppermint shrimp take a ride down the overflow. Ended up in the filter sock for at least a few days. It looked like a ghost shrimp when I pulled it out but regained its color in a few days.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have camel shrimp them and not a peppermint. They look really alike and I think stores can mislabel them. Look at the white stripes, it's the best way to distinguish.

Just look at their toes.

Back