SCA-301 Protein Skimmer Breaking in?

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been using one for about a month now! took about 2.5 weeks to get dark skimmate. im running it in 7.5" of water with the water level adjustment almost on 3. love this thing great skimmer for a sweet price.

OP
OP
SmoothSmoke

SmoothSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered one yesterday! Newest version, cup drain & air silencer :)
Awesome. Let us know how it goes for you.
ive been using one for about a month now! took about 2.5 weeks to get dark skimmate. im running it in 7.5" of water with the water level adjustment almost on 3. love this thing great skimmer for a sweet price.
Can I see a pic of your skimmate? Want to see what its suppose to look like when broken in.

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure ill take a pic later when I get home! Take in consideration im also running bio pellets. But mine looked like yours at about week 1 to week 2 and at that time bio pellets were not online. but even now my bio pellets have only been going for a lil over a week and I started with only about a 1/2 a cup on a 60 gal tank. mine really started pulling a good skimmate when the neck of the cone got nasty.

Last edited:

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats funky! Mine is a ways off.

Yea mine has really starting kicking butt! My system has been running for 4 months now with the skimmer going for about a month like i said and all i feed is frozen mysis once a day to once every other day. i only have one fish one pistol shrimp and a CUC. The amount i feed is about a ml of mysis diluted in tank water. and about once a week i feed about 5ml of dried zooplankton for the 4 frags i have. the water lever in the skimmer body is about 3/4 of an inch away from the bracket thats right below the collection cup which puts you at in between 3 and 4 on the skimmer adjustment. i feel like the skimmate is still a little wet so i moved the water level down to about an inch and a half below that bracket which puts you at about 3 on the skimmer adjustment. but if it doesnt product anything in about 5 days im going to move it back up to the 3/4 of an inch below the bracket.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 301 and I really like it. I have mine in 8" water and only need to set on setting 2 I read 6-8" is the recommend water level for it

OP
OP
SmoothSmoke

SmoothSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Started getting some funkier skimmate early this week. Is this now broken in??

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399165337035.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399165337035.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 366

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be sure to keep the air intake tube clear. Mine has a tendency to get clogged with salt creep. So for my weekly maintenance I squirt hot RO/DI down the air intake. Works like a charm!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back