Seahorses

peteranddeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am starting a seahorse tank. I'm looking for advise and knowledge. First, are there any particular companies that you would recommend purchasing SH from? Also,I'mlooking for somenice "hitching post" things. I have a37 Gal.tall tank, a fluval filter, live sand and a large live rock. I amthinking about t5 lighting so i can add a few non stinging corals, and a dragonet etc. I also plan on getting a few live "plants".

Thanks in advance for the advise,
Debbie

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for you Debbie!

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard very good things about Seahorse Source.

OP
OP
P

peteranddeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on ordering from Seahorse Source. They seem reputable and also arelocated in Florida, so lesstravel timefor the SH. I'm guessing not toomany people know about SH,as I didn't get much of a response...

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Seahorse Source. What kind or horses are you looking to get?

OP
OP
P

peteranddeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also looking for some SH tips, from people with experience. I have been researching, but its always better to get pointers... I am really excited, and want to know as much as possible before hand.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorse source has Erectus and Kuda right now. They are raising some Reidi but they aren't old enough for sale yet. I would definitely start with Erectus. I purchased Erectus for my first pair and they are a lot hardier than the Reidi I currently have.

I like to train my horses to eat out of a dish. This make cleaning up after feeding much easier. Keep the temperatures down, the water clean and you should be successful. Do you have any specific questions?

phil519

Got Rotifers?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorse source has Erectus and Kuda right now.

I;m not so sure about that - I talked to abby a few days ago about h.erectus and they had a situation in the family so shipments are delayed. Regardless though debbie - you can try them. Another possibility is sea horse corral...i think the person there her name is beth. A more expensive proposition would be oceanrider in Hawai'i. If you go with ocean rider you have to get a certificate from them - basically a series of emails from pete g./ocean rider trainer detailing the needs for SHs. Pretty much it's a way for them to prevent impulse buying from people. Although the sticker price for their SH's does that also.

note that sea horses do not require any special lighting - so it's perfectly fine to consider going plastic/molds of corals rather than the real thing. The rationale: SH are messy pigs and create a bit of dirty water. Corals typically prefer clean water. SH prefer cool temps - 72~74 being ideal. While T5 lighting is cooler than MH or PCs, it's still going to generate some heat into the tank.

Speaking of hitches - if you are interested in non-live pieces, I can recommend several sites.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

peteranddeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance. I read bits and pieces about feeding dishes,but don't get how the food stays in there etc. Seems silly,but that is1 of my questions. I had emailed Seahorse Source and they never answered me. I waslooking at Ocean Rider also.

OP
OP
P

peteranddeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check out Sea Horse Corral. I got the other day, a "fake" branch type rock that I think will be good. I have 2 artificial long leaf plants, and2 small branch type LR. I guess I will see how I make out with the T5 lights, and keepaclose eye on themand the temp. I will take the recommendations for the websites for the hitches. Do you recommend live plants,algaes? I appreciate all the help and info I can get.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back