Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start off let me tell you guys what equipment im running

Tank: IM Fusion 20gal Peninsula AIO tank. (Length 11.18” Width: 27.03” Height: 13”)
Light: AI Hydra 32HD (12inch above water)
Heater: Cobalt 75W
Return pump: Desktop MightyJet 15W/24V 326 GPH DC Return Pump
Filtration: Desktop CustomCaddy Media Basket w/ Premium 0.8 ROX Carbon Pack, High Capacity Coarse GFO
Additional: AutoAqua AWC/ATO

The way im going about building this tank is as low maintenance as possible. As you see have have very minimum equipment(5plugs) and i tend to keep it that way. after adding rock and sand my water volume is at 12gallons, since im not going to run a skimmer and will only have 2 to 3 fish max i will rely on AWC to keep water clean. As far as corals i have a good idea of what i want and where ill have pictures posted below.
20200123_050724.jpg
20200123_050439.jpg
20200123_050425.jpg
20200123_050332.jpg

Thats the aquascape i went for. *Heater in the pic was temporary*
20200123_050439coral.jpg

So i decided what type of encrusting corals i want to get. i know for sure i want a full on zoas garden and fill the sand bed with RFA, i want to know what encrusting corals can be compatible with this setup given the fact lighting+flow. Also what encrusting coral can be neighbored without warfare, i was thinking Favia/Favites. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions!

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, a plating montipora which come in different colours, texture and growth habits do encrust but they can grow large but are easily kept and are not aggressive but should be kept in check by snapping pieces back, are easy to frag and sell on or exchange.
As for your favia’s they are aggressive so you should control there growth, it’s a tricky situation if you mixing soft, lps or Sps they will have warfare especially in a small tank even in a large tank, unless you constantly Keep each species from getting to close to each other.

OP
OP
H

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, a plating montipora which come in different colours, texture and growth habits do encrust but they can grow large but are easily kept and are not aggressive but should be kept in check by snapping pieces back, are easy to frag and sell on or exchange.
As for your favia’s they are aggressive so you should control there growth, it’s a tricky situation if you mixing soft, lps or Sps they will have warfare especially in a small tank even in a large tank, unless you constantly Keep each species from getting to close to each other.
Lets say i go with Favia/Favites would i be able to pick 7,8 plugs of them and let them grow into each other? I dont plan on mixing lps sps, I'd just go for 1 encrusting coral type and collect diffrent colors of the same kind. What do you think?

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, not quite sure as if you mixing different Favia/Favites to grow into each other there is still a risk of stinging each other as some people have said, especially that there are several favia subspecies. The only way I think is to try the same species, get a few and see. Sorry I couldn’t give you more help but in this hobby it’s trial and error good luck.

Back