Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 102 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

For many of us when we set up a new reef tank, we have visions of magnificent looking reefs teaming with fish and coral and we do our best to aquascape in a way that provides a foundation for that future glory. Others create artistic aquascapes that are amazing arrangement of rocks even before any coral is added. Regardless of how you start, there is still the question of whether to change the aquascape over time. Some reef keepers take a set-it-and-forget-it approach, others are continually tweaking their aquascape, and there is a wide range of practices in between. What about you – do you change your aquascape as your corals grow? Please tell us about your aquascape and let us know if it has evolved over time.

RussiReef_FTS.jpeg

Photo by @RussiReef; ROTM April 2022

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the clowns are bigger, they are really annoying to deal with. They literally just harass and bite me and its started to actually get blood

So my clownfish tank is set and forget it. The multiplying destructive nems made me move all the corals out anyways

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I plant mine in a way that they marry together without warfare

1716228350888.png

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the idea is to set it and forget it, but due to change in growth patterns and flow over time, rocks do get adjusted from time to time. especially to even out the growth pattern without altering flow too much.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the clowns are bigger, they are really annoying to deal with. They literally just harass and bite me and its started to actually get blood

So my clownfish tank is set and forget it. The multiplying destructive nems made me move all the corals out anyways
Trade to lfs for a pair of ocellaris lol

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hold up, they draw blood from you? They can be nasty but ive never felt any pain from a clownfish bite.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up, they draw blood from you? They can be nasty but ive never felt any pain from a clownfish bite.

Yup. Get little cuts and scabs from their bites. Most of the bites are just little red sores but sometimes they are deep enough to make me bleed.

They killed gobies larger than them somehow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You sure do! That is incredible. I'm a beginner and I'm only a couple weeks away from adding my first coral. I have to ask you. What was your first coral?
Its been 43 years and cant recall and likely condylactus anemone as it was back then one of the few things you could find in a pet store other than Xmas tree worms

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been 43 years and cant recall and likely condylactus anemone as it was back then one of the few things you could find in a pet store other than Xmas tree worms
You guys that started all this are great. You all had such limited options and technology, that it's impressive that you kept it alive. I hope my journey brings me somewhere close to this one day. Thanks for the reply

thatotherblkguy701

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

orange aquarium gloves from chewy clownfish doesnt bother my hands anymore

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm regularly moving corals around purely because I made noob mistakes during setup.
I designed the rockwork to be pretty rather than functional & didn't realise just how fast they grow once you're dialled in.
So Monti's have shaded lps, green plays have taken over rockwork & been segregated, gsp has been relocated to rear wall, torches have been marooned due to stinging etc etc.
It's been a great learning curve as I know better for next setup.
Below is attached a pic of a Christmas Monti I mounted as a pound coin sized frag last year in upper rockwork.
You live and learn!

Attachments

• PXL_20240520_102532027.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240520_102532027.MP.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 50
Back