Seth's new Red Sea Max 500

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated photo of my sump, fuge and dosing set up.

image.jpeg
I am interested in the way you have your sump set up, I am waiting on a new skimmer and i am going to change mine ,I always struggle with nitrates

OP
OP
S

snafte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in the way you have your sump set up, I am waiting on a new skimmer and i am going to change mine ,I always struggle with nitrates
What is your current method for dealing with nitrates? Also it's very dependant on bio load, and amount of rock you have in the tank. I only have 15 fish, with 80kg live rock, I carbon dose, and I run a bio pellet reactor. All in all my nitrates don't really ever rise above 5ppm.

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current method for dealing with nitrates? Also it's very dependant on bio load, and amount of rock you have in the tank. I only have 15 fish, with 80kg live rock, I carbon dose, and I run a bio pellet reactor. All in all my nitrates don't really ever rise above 5ppm.
I have 16 fish, at least that amount of rock, a ton of marine pure balls i carbon dose , the only thing i haven't tried yet is pellet reactor my nitrates go between 25 to 50 salifert test kit, how much no pox should i use in 400lts?

OP
OP
S

snafte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 16 fish, at least that amount of rock, a ton of marine pure balls i carbon dose , the only thing i haven't tried yet is pellet reactor my nitrates go between 25 to 50 salifert test kit, how much no pox should i use in 400lts?
The first thing I would be addressing is the marine pure balls - they trap a lot of detritus and thus often act as a nitrate factory. You should clean then quite regularly, or switch to marine pure blocks. I have two blocks and I still rinse them out in tank water every 4-5 months. The other to remember is that when you dose nopox it causes the denitrifying bacteria to become lazy and thus the tank almost becomes reliant on the nopox. Adding bacteria whether it be through dosing or using natural sea water will help the bacteria. I can't comment on how much nopox to dose but I wouldn't be thinking any more then 12ml a day spread out. A reactor might not help until you find the underlying reason as to why the nitrates are high. How much are you feeding?

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I would be addressing is the marine pure balls - they trap a lot of detritus and thus often act as a nitrate factory. You should clean then quite regularly, or switch to marine pure blocks. I have two blocks and I still rinse them out in tank water every 4-5 months. The other to remember is that when you dose nopox it causes the denitrifying bacteria to become lazy and thus the tank almost becomes reliant on the nopox. Adding bacteria whether it be through dosing or using natural sea water will help the bacteria. I can't comment on how much nopox to dose but I wouldn't be thinking any more then 12ml a day spread out. A reactor might not help until you find the underlying reason as to why the nitrates are high. How much are you feeding?
I feed only every second day now, 1/2 cube brine shrimp, 1/2 cube lobster eggs and a bit of dry food

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning, any updates?

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really is fantastic, do you have a problem with corals stinging one another? they seen close together

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back