Setting up a 220g sump

ReforgeBlade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 220g tank this weekend with a 40 breeder sump and stand. I’m trying to figure out the best way to set up the overflows. The tank has 2 corner baffles with 2 holes drilled in each baffle. It looked like the previous owner had it setup with 2 drains and 2 returns for the majority of the flow. I’m wondering if I should change the configuration to 2 drains with an emergency drain and a single return or run it the same as the previous owner. All of the holes are drilled for 1 inch. I’d really appreciate any insight on the topic

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recommend a “bean animal” aka Herbie Method drain system. This gives you good turnover but more importantly runs super quiet. You’ll need to do some searches for the specifics but basically you take one or two of the drains and restrict flow via gate valve so they are full siphons. Then you use one or two of the return line holes as an emergency drain(s). You can use the remaining hole for the return line or you can have the return line hang over the back of the tank.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%

Back