Shadowing

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First foray into SPS, have these Monti's up high in the tank under my Neptune Sky's. They seem to be doing ok but look at how the flesh is only growing under direct light...(this was taken with lights off to make it easy to see)

It does seem to be growing (along with all my other corals), but the shaded parts are dying. Are others seeing this or is my lighting implementation just really bad?

Im considering taking a kessil A160 and placing it somehow on the sky to point in this direction from another angle. Stinks though, I thought the benefit of these large panel lights was to prevent shadowing.

20231201_103007.jpg 20231201_103512.jpg

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it was 6 months ago, not too long after I got it.
Looks much worse I know but its definitely growing...just seems like the dying part is catching up! Is it a goner?
Not sure why but monti's have always been really difficult for me.

digi.jpg

Spartan76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think lights are the problem. The frag is recovering from some prior injury or event. Seems like it’s turning around. Keep parameters steady And my guess is it’ll be ok. you can check your par too just in case.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a tank full of euphyllia, I wonder if the par and flow is high enough for monti. Normally this coral will base out and cover the whole rock, but its not doing that. Just taking a guess, but I think your light and flow is enough to just keep it alive but not thrive.

crewsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on how it's looking now? Curious to see if it's recovered or still the same.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think lights are the problem. The frag is recovering from some prior injury or event. Seems like it’s turning around. Keep parameters steady And my guess is it’ll be ok. you can check your par too just in case.
This does not look like lighting to me either. What is your RO TDS?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back