Should I use a NIB Apex Lite, or go with something current?

Extremeengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new in the box APEX Lite, I purchased it 10 years ago when I was putting together a second larger marine tank, after learning on a cichlid and then smaller FOWLR tank. But then life happened, and I stepped away from the hobby until, well now. So I am again putting together a marine tank, I intend to have a few corals eventually, so am planning for that in some way initially. From what I can see the Lite will be a pain to set up for use with my iPhone, as the build will be no where near a LAN access point in my house.

Tank is a 75g, I have 2 (also brand new in box) Vortech MP10wqd, so my plan there is to set them up as master/slave, and I think then I would not need them connected to APEX? For heaters I have 2 BRS Ti elements, with the Innovative Marine Helio controller, so again I don't need the APEX for that. Lights I have 2 inbound Radion G6 Pros, so again no controller I believe. I will do some kind of leak detection, at least that's my thought, and the APEX ones I find speak to requiring the newest version of OS, so with the LITE being disco right after I bought it 10 years ago it seems, not sure if that would work.

So what would the APEX Lite gain me if anything? I mean I own it, so maybe it's just a really expensive power strip with a redundant temp sensor, but it seems like maybe I should consider something newer that gives me good wireless iphone integration, and see if I can sell this through the tack board at a local aquarium shop. I actually like having the separate apps for light, heater, etc. as then I am using the optimized app for each device instead of trying to go through a third party controller for those functions. Or am I way off base and the Lite will actually be a good fit for whatever reason(s).

Thanks for any insight!

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into one that is at least an "A2" or the newer A3. Otherwise you're risking failure. I'm sure it would work for a while, but IMO it's not worth the risk.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the new modules are not compatible with the old head units. If memory serves, Trident is not and i don't think the FFMs are either .... you'd have to check.

Jyeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back