show off your beautiful nanos!

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread shows that talent, vision, and dedication are as important for a beautiful display as a huge budget/tank. Sure there are some limitations (I don't see a lot of blonde naso tangs in this thread, one of my favorite fish), but several of these tanks are stunning displays that I can only aspire to.

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon, running out of space!

IMG_6792.jpeg

IMG_6791.jpeg
Any tips on growing them out like that?

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any tips on growing them out like that?
This applies to nanos only (since I haven’t kept a significantly larger tank), but my main tips are patience, keeping it simple and learning your tank. Included a pic of one of my old tanks as well that’s now shut down. I’m sure plenty of ppl may not agree with my approach, but it’s what’s worked for me for years.

As for patience, these started as quarter sized frags and this growth took about 2-3 years, so nothing happens fast.

Keep it simple, good lights, a powerhead, heater, ATO, good filtration, water changes, good cleanup crew, and (if needed) a simple dosing regimen. Ive never tested any parameter on my tank other than ammonia and nitrates when I’m cycling and salinity when I’m doing a water change. Dial in your lights. Start off with 20-25% water changes weekly. Once you approach the 9-12 ish month mark, move to bi-weekly. I currently am doing water changes maybe once every couple months. As for dosing, until you slow down on water changes it’s likely not needed, but dose something like AFR, ATI essentials or Red Sea alk/ca/trace. Pick one you like. Pick a nominal dose based on your tank size and dose consistently, e.g. every other day or for example, water change Saturday, dose Tuesday and Thursday and repeat. No need for goofy equipment like an apex, trident, algae scrubber, skimmer, etc. on a nano, but if you have cash to burn, why not.

Learn your tank and livestock. My tank is in my main living area. I walk by it 100 times a day. I stop and take a quick glance at it maybe 1/4 of those times. Watch your fish, watch your corals, see how they look when they’re happy so you can quickly spot if something looks off and adjust, e.g. a coral that consistently has thick flesh like my chalices has been showing thinner flesh for a day or two (a lot of issues are usually resolved with a quick water change on a nano). Address issues quickly, see a dead snail, pull it out, see aiptasia or vermatids, deal with them. Dont let stuff linger.

Attachments

• IMG_5151.jpeg
    IMG_5151.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 22

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This applies to nanos only (since I haven’t kept a significantly larger tank), but my main tips are patience, keeping it simple and learning your tank. Included a pic of one of my old tanks as well that’s now shut down. I’m sure plenty of ppl may not agree with my approach, but it’s what’s worked for me for years.

As for patience, these started as quarter sized frags and this growth took about 2-3 years, so nothing happens fast.

Keep it simple, good lights, a powerhead, heater, ATO, good filtration, water changes, good cleanup crew, and (if needed) a simple dosing regimen. Ive never tested any parameter on my tank other than ammonia and nitrates when I’m cycling and salinity when I’m doing a water change. Dial in your lights. Start off with 20-25% water changes weekly. Once you approach the 9-12 ish month mark, move to bi-weekly. I currently am doing water changes maybe once every couple months. As for dosing, until you slow down on water changes it’s likely not needed, but dose something like AFR, ATI essentials or Red Sea alk/ca/trace. Pick one you like. Pick a nominal dose based on your tank size and dose consistently, e.g. every other day or for example, water change Saturday, dose Tuesday and Thursday and repeat. No need for goofy equipment like an apex, trident, algae scrubber, skimmer, etc. on a nano, but if you have cash to burn, why not.

Learn your tank and livestock. My tank is in my main living area. I walk by it 100 times a day. I stop and take a quick glance at it maybe 1/4 of those times. Watch your fish, watch your corals, see how they look when they’re happy so you can quickly spot if something looks off and adjust, e.g. a coral that consistently has thick flesh like my chalices has been showing thinner flesh for a day or two (a lot of issues are usually resolved with a quick water change on a nano). Address issues quickly, see a dead snail, pull it out, see aiptasia or vermatids, deal with them. Dont let stuff linger.
Awesome. I have one chalice in my 40g and this is realllllly making me want to setup my 20g long and just let a chalice grow and completely fill it up lol why do you have the light mounted so high? I know it’s purpose, but why not just turn it down?

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@reef’r That piece of wood it’s attached to is fixed to the stand. So I’m working with what I got. If I could, I’d definitely have the light lower. As is tho, despite being about 18-20” off the water, it’s only set at 40”, tho my tank is only 7” deep

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally starting to turn my 32 biocube into a reef!

Attachments

• IMG_5298.jpeg
    IMG_5298.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5297.jpeg
    IMG_5297.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5287.jpeg
    IMG_5287.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 8

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just remodeled my 5g pico tonight. I want to do a BTA and clown combo in this little guy. Maybe some stupid bright cyphastria on the rocks.
Here’s the before
IMG_0608.jpeg

And here’s the new and improved
IMG_2155.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpeg
    IMG_0608.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 9

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back