Show off your wrasse

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new McCosker's - sorry about the pics - he is just so hard to get a photo of. He is new to the tank and just started flashing - mainly with my fang blennie or the purple fire fish.

McCoskers1.jpg

McCoskers2.jpg

Sweet pics eveyone

Love the Lineatus and Labout's Sara!! Those 2 are on my one day list. Great pics.

Pnoyreefer - That velvet looks so clear, it's like it's out of the tank!! Sweet pic man!

kdblove_99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin you have the wrasse i want. Lineatus,Labouts and the one i have had the hardest time tracking down the 8 Line flasher wrasse

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these fish cost way too much to risk an open top. And I have cats that are known to carry off fish that navigated their way to the floor. I had a top, not secured well, and lost my male Pyle's. IMO, wrasses need to be treated like you expect them to jump.

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS was taking a flasher that was on its last leg (beautiful species we couldn't ID that did make it) out of its bag and putting it in a specimen container to acclimate it. This thing looked dead and so he just gently poured the water into the container. The second he started doing it, the wrasse went nuts. They like to jump in any circumstance, even if they look really sick...

Since this is a picture thread, he's the yellow coris I just got that didn't make it. I might be showing up with new pics of a Halichoeres sp. I can't ID or the above Flasher.

01120901-1.jpg

kitten0304

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i read somewhere certian wrasses can change from female to male ( i may have misunderstood) is that correct?? and if it is does that mean you would have to put 2 of the same kind in the tank for that to happen?

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct and I believe it's all wrasses. They're born as females and mature into terminal males (i.e. the change only goes one way) in the absence of a dominant male. The dominant female is the one that changes when the wrasses are in a group. People have had the fish change both being the only wrasse in the tank and being one of a group of that species.

kitten0304

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well i finally get to joing the club my fairy's have arrived :D I am not sure of the 1st on they called it a sunset fairy i havent been able to find any info on it yet. but so far he is my fav
100_4136.jpg

100_4158.jpg

and everyone well but 1
100_4125.jpg

a lubbocki? they called him tricolor and mccoskers
100_4097.jpg

and my almost male pylei female did not survive shipping but for a few days
100_4135.jpg

and may be a social but his bottom fins are very black and dorsal and rear are very blue?
100_4106.jpg

hope everyone enjoys :)

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice wrasses, kitten, and I'm sorry to hear about your Pyle's. :( I finally got a juvenile/subadult male (we're not really sure) last weekend, still need to find a true female. I think the one they're calling a "Sunset Wrasse" is a Pylei as well, Lineatus if not, and the other one looks like a "Whipfin", to which I can't remember the scientific name off the top of my head. Beautiful fish and again, sorry for the loss.

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dont think its a Pylei, they have a blue strip on the tale, also not so red. I have owned both Pylei and Lineatus. Doesnt look like either, dorsal fin doesnt look the same. That is one cool looking wrasse and would love to know where you got it.

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The defined blue lines turn me off of Pyle's as well, but there are some color variations that have the dark dorsal spot and don't have the iridescent blue/purple stripe on the tail, which is why I thought of it. There was a Cirrhilabrus of some sort on one of WWM's FAQ pages that wasn't ID'd but looked like Lineatus and Pyle's, maybe this is it. Very beautiful guy whatever he is.

Nice Melunarus, cherokee!

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this is an awesome thread. There are a lot more lineatus out there than I figured I'd see. I'll see if I can get my M. meleagris to hold still. I've got two M. negrosensis, too, but they haven't been moved into a tank I can get pics from (in a livestock tub-fuge). I'm hoping to get a lineatus and mystery next week...

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My terminal phase lineatus:
lineatus.jpg

Rhomboid, RIP, that one hurt!
rodneyrhomboid-1.jpg

I'll have to get a pic of my Katherine's but he's still a bit stressed and colors are muddled.

Anybody got a nice Vanuatu hooded fairy male?

OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice wrasses kitten the first one looks like a varient of the pylie but it does not have the blue margin on its tail..might be a hybrid as well..i will do some asking around and see what i can find out on that one for you..the last one looks to be c. joanallenae...very closely related to what is called the social c. rubriventralis..the ones that is a tri-color is a c. lubbocki..nice collection of wrasses

Back