Showstopper or interesting

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer170 which is a mixed reef including a dozen different acropora. I have a pair of Blood Red shrimps and a pair of Boxer shrimps (both pairs have been in the tank circa 4 years). I’d like to consider buying certain fish (I.e. Hawkfish) but do not want to put these shrimps at risk.
Fish wise I have a Banner Wrasse and a pair of Royal Blue Damsels (Chrysiptera Springeri). Neither of which really stand out in the tank.
I’m looking to add some more fish but want them to ideally be ‘showstoppers’ or, at worst, create a interesting ‘picture’.
I was thinking:
1. A few more brightly coloured damsels but I’ve read this is a risk and, if trying, should be other Chrysiptera which aren’t that bright imo.
2. A clownfish - I do not have any anemones but understand that’s not a problem.
3. Some Anthias - but understand they are hard to keep for any length of time.
Any other options anyone feels would be worth looking into please - bearing in mind I want them to be ‘seen’ a lot.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
McCosker flasher wrasse would be a good one too, or a flasher wrasse of any kind.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the banner wrasse Hemigymnus melapterus?

Looks like a Red Sea 170 is about 2x2 footprint. I wouldn't do anthias there.

A Swissguard or candy basslet would be a showstopper, if you have deep enough pockets...
It is - I bought him about 18months ago. The LFS didn’t tell me he could grow into a tank buster - they knew my tank and I just accepted it would be ok. He’s currently circa 3 inches so I’m thinking I’ll have to move him on at some point. Actually a nice fish - doesn’t cause any issues (to date)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back