Build history

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many years I have kept a main tank of Malawi’s and three other tanks of anything I liked. I fancied a new challenge - did keep marines about 30 years ago so major improvements in the hobby now. I’ve only kept a small tank of shell dwellers and will use the others as hospital tanks if I need them - although 10 months in and that hasn’t been necessary. I read, and watched a lot, in advance and decided (against my usual nature) to take my time to ensure I gave myself the best chance of success. The route I took:
  1. My LFS had a Red Sea Reefer 170 as a display tank. It’s absolutely stunning - so I decided to speak to them about what they had, equipment wise, and why they had those things. I then decided to replicate exactly the set up as, after all, it was clearly working. Of course I appreciate that a new tank, reactor, skimmer, LEDs and the latest lighting isn’t cheap but I funded a fair chunk by selling my Malawi tank (40 fish, LEDs, two external filters, other equipment and the tank itself were all sold separately to maximise the return). eBay was a valued money source as I raided by house for anything I could sell which, in truth, I was simply hoarding for no reason. I also bought the various bits over a period of a few months whilst I was researching so it spread the cost. I bought recommended equipment and reviewed prior to buying too.
  2. I looked at a wealth of videos, on YouTube, to decide what fish and corals I should look to get as well as how to mature the tank and everything else required to maintain it. I spent two months on the research part.
  3. Having bought everything I then got the shop to set the tank up for me. This was useful from the perspective of making sure I started out right (took them 3 hours so I think it would have taken me loads more with potential for floods etc). However, the downside (which soon became evident) was I didn’t really understand how everything worked and interacted with each other. As an example I didn’t appreciate that when the reactor was not tumbling as much it was because of the sponge filter needing cleaning) - so I would still have them set it up, if I started again, but I’d pay greater attention whilst they were doing it.
  4. I matured the tank using Dr Tim’s but didn’t rush and took about 5 weeks for this phase.
  5. I then gradually added the clean up crew and fish. These were added over a period of 10 weeks to ensure the system adequately coped.
  6. I have a number of shrimps (including a blood red and a true pair of Boxing Shrimps), a number of different urchins, a couple of Hermits and numerous snails.
  7. My fish are Banggai Cardinal fish (pair), a Midas Blenny, a Purple Firefish, a Yellow Tang, Electric Blue Damsels, Tailspot Blenny
  8. I had the algae problem but kept it down as best I could manually - the key seemed to be when I got hair algae - I ‘hired’ a Sea Hare and it did a great job (backed up by my clean up crew) in resolving the issue in little over a week.
  9. Three months in I added my first corals - my water perimeters (including calcium, alkalinity etc) were perfect at this time - I wanted to get corals I really wanted so was prepared for the looking after whatever their requirements.
  10. Since then I’ve gradually built up my corals - some colonies and some frags. I’ve now got circa 20 types of coral - I’ve not added any more fish as they were what I wanted from the off so I’m happy especially as everything is getting on. My Malawi experience was that potential problems occurred when you added a new fish and I didn’t want the same issues.
  11. All corals are growing well - I’m just trying SPS so we will see how that goes. To date I’ve lost no fish or corals.
  12. My husbandry involves weekly water changes of 15%. Daily cleaning of skimmer cup and topping up of the auto top up unit. I’m using the Red Sea Recipes and I feed the fish a very varied diet. Filter sock is changed every three days. My salt water is bought from my LFS but I make my own plain RO (find making the salt a pain).
  13. I have changed my lighting to a RedSea Reef90 as the previous light had so many options with little guidance and I wasn’t happy. I’ve also bought a second media reactor for the carbon.
My Duncan, my Elegance, my Zoas, my Toadstools, my Finger Leather and my Xenia have all grown - I keep my Xenia trimmed so it stays on its island. In summary - I think I’m in a good place. The key has been good research, right equipment (best you can afford), compatible livestock and loads of patience. I appreciate things might change, without warning, but so far so good. My biggest problem is not to keep buying corals I like the look of! The first photo was with the first coral additions and the rest are of how it’s taken it’s current shape:
4D7241FD-B9AC-4044-9BCC-A3E43463BE4E.jpeg
5B7A312C-79E5-4BEB-B521-37ADCAACFEA3.jpeg
BAC8309A-9FC0-409D-9DCC-D11FFC272807.jpeg
E7E258A9-5945-48B1-86D4-E721EDEBBDB4.jpeg
B57F62DE-59B9-4931-8893-C69DBB4291E8.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start to your tank and your build thread! You may want to add a build thread banner (which doubles as a link to your thread) so people can find your thread more easily.

Here are the step-by-step instructions to add your build thread banner:

1. Copy your build thread URL
2. Click here to edit the link in your profile: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/account-details
3. Scroll down the page until you see "R2R Tank Thread Link" and paste your build thread link in box next to it and then select "save"
4. Your build thread banner will show up below your name in all of your posts!

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start to your tank and your build thread! You may want to add a build thread banner (which doubles as a link to your thread) so people can find your thread more easily.

Here are the step-by-step instructions to add your build thread banner:

1. Copy your build thread URL
2. Click here to edit the link in your profile: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/account-details
3. Scroll down the page until you see "R2R Tank Thread Link" and paste your build thread link in box next to it and then select "save"
4. Your build thread banner will show up below your name in all of your posts!
Thanks - will do

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back