Shrimp Goby Disappeared

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 2 weeks ago I got a randall’s goby and then a pistol shrimp a few days later, they paired within a day and have since been fine, goby is usually sticking his head out keeping guard until suddenly 2 days ago he disappeared, figured he moved to a different burrow with the pistol but just saw the pistol come out of the same burrow alone and the goby is still nowhere to be found. I feel like that’s probably not a great sign?? Any input is appreciated!

Notes:
Tank mates are a midas blenny and 2 clowns.

mix of LPS and Softies that are all thriving.

I added a tiny six like wrasse almost a week ago and he was eating and swimming around until he also disappeared since last night. everything else is fine though.

Last edited:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 2 weeks ago I got a randall’s goby and then a pistol shrimp a few days later, they paired within a day and have since been fine, goby is usually sticking his head out keeping guard until suddenly 2 days ago he disappeared, figured he moved to a different burrow with the pistol but just saw the pistol come out of the same burrow alone and the goby is still nowhere to be found. I feel like that’s probably not a great sign?? Any input is appreciated!

Notes:
Tank mates are a midas blenny and 2 clowns.

mix of LPS and Softies that are all thriving.

I added a tiny six like wrasse almost a week ago and he was eating and swimming around until he also disappeared since last night. everything else is fine though.
Goby's are a strange lot! They disappear for long stretches quite often. I read on here the other day about a yellow watchman goby that went MIA for 3 YEARS!!! Then randomly showed back up.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the goby showed back up and is living it up with his buddy… I did however notice something the day he came back… A while ago I got a hi-fin goby and a pistol but that goby never made it and I never heard or saw that shrimp or any sand being moved around so I went and got the second pair this time with the randall’s goby. Well I just saw a small little claw just a few inches away in a rock structure across from the goby and the new pistol shrimp.. so i have 2 shrimps and 1 goby now it seems… i attached a pic to show location of each. white circle is where the new goby and pistol hangout.black circle is where i just saw the old original shrimp for the first time ever… any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_3814.jpeg
    IMG_3814.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My randall goby was MIA for a month and then showed up one day. I also have a six line. I wouldn’t be concerned. Hope he’s okay and keep us updated
Well the goby showed back up and is living it up with his buddy… I did however notice something the day he came back… A while ago I got a hi-fin goby and a pistol but that goby never made it and I never heard or saw that shrimp or any sand being moved around so I went and got the second pair this time with the randall’s goby. Well I just saw a small little claw just a few inches away in a rock structure across from the goby and the new pistol shrimp.. so i have 2 shrimps and 1 goby now it seems… i attached a pic to show location of each. white circle is where the new goby and pistol hangout.black circle is where i just saw the old original shrimp for the first time ever… any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_3814.jpeg
    IMG_3814.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 5

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back