Sick Blue Hippo Tang

VetReefGuy57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I need help identifying what is wrong with my Blue hippo. The dots started on his forehead. He was hiding next to a BTA so I thought he was just getting too close. But it has gotten worse and he just tried jumping out of the tank for the first time.

I have had him for a year. All tank parameters are normal and I have had no disease in my tank to date.
IMG_6732.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would help some if you could clean the glass since at least some of the lesions match the glass.

That said. I see HLLE, Possible ICH, Possible flukes. Can you see any other symptoms - how long you've had the fish, symptoms on other fish? The fins look frayed - any bullying? Your parameters? Have you initiated anyQT procedures. significant bacterial infection may also be responsible

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all,

I need help identifying what is wrong with my Blue hippo. The dots started on his forehead. He was hiding next to a BTA so I thought he was just getting too close. But it has gotten worse and he just tried jumping out of the tank for the first time.

I have had him for a year. All tank parameters are normal and I have had no disease in my tank to date.
IMG_6732.jpeg
This fish has Severe skin erosion and erosion. Problem with treatment is allowing the fish to get to this point. You can stabilize the condition with providing and maintaining the best water quality possible and focusing on a wide diet with some of the items listed below but restoration will not be possible. Any coral stings will go away on their own as long as fish avoids them.

Foods:

LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

IMG_6732.jpeg

That is severe head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE). Once it gets started, in bad cases, it can also become infected. Here is an article about this malady:

Jay

OP
OP
V

VetReefGuy57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the follow up. HLLE seems to be it. I feel bad I let it get this bad. Just last week it was only his head and I thought he was getting too close to the Nem.

Is there any opinion on activated carbon being the cause?

I run a very small amount in a tumbler. I was reading that could be a cause. I will pull it from the tank to see improvement.

He eats TDO chroma boost pellets and frozen mysis. Won’t touch Nori.

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the follow up. HLLE seems to be it. I feel bad I let it get this bad. Just last week it was only his head and I thought he was getting too close to the Nem.

Is there any opinion on activated carbon being the cause?

I run a very small amount in a tumbler. I was reading that could be a cause. I will pull it from the tank to see improvement.

He eats TDO chroma boost pellets and frozen mysis. Won’t touch Nori.

I don't think you're supposed to tumble activated carbon

Based on this thread some people even mentioned it could lead to HLLE

You got some of the best guys on this site already commenting too. Wish your blue hippo luck!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the info. This community is such a great support system.

Yes, tumbling carbon creates dust (fines) that makes HLLE worse. The trouble is, removing the carbon doesn't usually cure the existing lesions!

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back