Single reservoir mixing station

Diman1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a new reefer switching from the freshwater side. I just started my first 20 gallons AIO and doing a research to convert one of my larger tanks to saltwater (125 gallons).
Mixing 3-4 gallons for my current tank is not a big deal but I will need a proper salt mixing setup for a large tank. Most of the designs here and on youtube use double-bin setup (RODI and mixed) but I am planning to build a single reservoir station from 55 gallon open-top water drum from Uline.
Why is single reservoir method so unpopular? What am I missing? Attached is my planning sketch. It is ugly but self-explanatory. Please provide your feedback.

IMG_5124 (1) (1).jpeg

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it looks good to me. Most likely, the reason double is more popular is because larger tanks are more popular for having a mixing station. I can't see any reason why you can't have just 1.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more convenient to have freshwater and saltwater separate,,, so you can refill your ATO (auto top off) container and/or do water changes without having to coordinate when you have either fresh or salt in a single storage container.

Beyond that, your idea seems fine,,, but I feel like that's a pretty big concern (to me, anyway).

OP
OP
D

Diman1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more convenient to have freshwater and saltwater separate,,, so you can refill your ATO (auto top off) container and/or do water changes without having to coordinate when you have either fresh or salt in a single storage container.

Beyond that, your idea seems fine,,, but I feel like that's a pretty big concern (to me, anyway).
you are right about the coordination part. I came up with a simple solution. I will be using a whiteboard for reminders/notes

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are right about the coordination part. I came up with a simple solution. I will be using a whiteboard for reminders/notes
I think the simple solution creates more problems.

OP
OP
D

Diman1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even beyond that coordination, there's always a chance for a sudden, unexpected need for one or the other (RO/DI vs saltwater).
I have a 20 gallons Brute that I will connect to the RODI system with a float valve.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back