Size regrets - Exchange for a bigger tank before we fill?

What would you do?

• Return & get 65g

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • I wouldn’t exchange the 45g

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Take a loss & get the 65g

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get the bigger. you'll always be looking at that smaller tank sighing, I should have bought the bigger, and probably lose interest. I'd call him and say you really would like the bigger one and if you're buying the bigger one from him I don't see an issue. (unless you bought used?)
No it was new. I just have a bad taste with his communication skills and if he didn’t have the healthiest looking fish around I wouldn’t even bother going back ever.

I feel like your right, from up front it looks perfect but when I sit aside, I just keep thinking what a mistake I made.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call the store, speak to the owner, explain what ya wrote and exchange it for the tank u want. Don’t see why it would b a problem, especially if u plan on frequenting this lfs for future business. From the owners perspective.
We definitely do plan on it, my kid loves his selection of fish and they look the healthiest. However, he’s already salty with us — we bought the tank off him much $$$ than petco tanks. Then I came in for an overflow and Fritz turbo start 900, he didn’t have the turbo start and told me I didn’t need it if I get rock. So I told him I have live rock and sand already, will it still cycle fast without the fritz? And he got immediately agitated, and snippy, changed the topic and asked where I bought it and why. I just said they were on sale (and he only carried dry anyways).

He then proceeded to tell me he won’t take care of us, value or treat us the same if we’re shopping around (not like he was that helpful anyways). I was like I just bought a $230 tank off you, (and a $60 lid that you failed to mention won’t close with accessories.) and I’m here to shop again? I was so stunned and insulted I left without the overflow. I understand he has to be pricer since he can’t get discounts on volume, but there was no reason to be so rude. Even my kid picked up on it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We definitely do plan on it, my kid loves his selection of fish and they look the healthiest. However, he’s already salty with us — we bought the tank off him much $$$ than petco tanks. Then I came in for an overflow and Fritz turbo start 900, he didn’t have the turbo start and told me I didn’t need it if I get rock. So I told him I have live rock and sand already, will it still cycle fast without the fritz? And he got immediately agitated, and snippy, changed the topic and asked where I bought it and why. I just said they were on sale (and he only carried dry anyways).

He then proceeded to tell me he won’t take care of us, value or treat us the same if we’re shopping around (not like he was that helpful anyways). I was like I just bought a $230 tank off you, (and a $60 lid that you failed to mention won’t close with accessories.) and I’m here to shop again? I was so stunned and insulted I left without the overflow. I understand he has to be pricer since he can’t get discounts on volume, but there was no reason to be so rude. Even my kid picked up on it.
That is unfortunate. As a store looking for repeat business, that's not cool.
Do you have other LFS's near you? I would take the tank back and go elsewhere to buy another. And if he won't take it back, ask him if he'll upgrade it. Explain that it's more money for him to do so. If still not taking it back, walk out, take the loss, buy the tank somewhere else. Sell on ebay. (or use as sump if possible)
What a shame on the store.

Edit; as far as live stock, qt all fish. Maybe use the small tank as a qt.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back