Sizing gas struts for lid - Help Please!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I'm definitely not a carpenter, so I've never used gas / spring struts so I'd appreciate some advice.

I have a 24"x48" lid that weighs around 35 pounds (lid plus lights) that's mounted with a hinge so it opens up like a toy chest. I'd like to use two gas struts to help with the weight and ideally hold it in the open position. I'm trying to size the strength / force of the struts I need, and am really lost in the online calculators.

Anyone have a simple way of getting to an estimate? Or better yet -- anyone have a recommendation for struts that they've used?

Thanks in advance!

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this website which seems fairly easy to navigate, not sure if you could source a similar strut from mcmaster or somewhere: https://www.gasspringsshop.com/gas-spring-calculator/

This was what I got when punching your values in:
1616221998152.png

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you decide on, go up one size just to add a bit of a safety factor. I'd also use a manual block to hold the lid open when you are working on the tank. Think jack stand versus hydraulic jack for your car. That last thing you want is for it to fail and land on your head!

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you decide on, go up one size just to add a bit of a safety factor. I'd also use a manual block to hold the lid open when you are working on the tank. Think jack stand versus hydraulic jack for your car. That last thing you want is for it to fail and land on your head!

I hear you. The problem is that if the struts are too strong then they become hard to close.

I’m tempted to make a weighted jig and then just test out the strut before installing it on the canopy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back