Skinny fish info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone
Happy Holidays.

This subject has been brought up a few times and I would like to clarify few things regarding "sometimes received skinny fish" issue.

As you know we quarantine fish and then sell them in 30 days.
During these 30 days they are with us, these fish are subjected to extreme treatments. Starting with freshwater bath or formalin depending on species.
Then they end up in copper at maximum therapeutic levels. They stay there for 14 days, then they get a massive water change and go to prazi metro and few other medications for next 14 days. After 28 total they get moved to retail section in 6x6 or 8x8 cubes.

During all these treatments fish stop eating sometimes and lose weight. Copper suppresses apatite in some cases. Poor fish barely recovers out of copper for a day they get hit with prazi which also suppresses appetite.
After 28 days they are in cubes where they are stuck till, they sell or ship, that tight space also causes loss of appetite in some fish.
Unfortunately every step of qtying causes them to lose appetite (in some fish)
We observe them in sterile tanks for few days and make sure they gain their appetite back. Once they start eating, we ship them out.
Shipping stress also causes some fish to go into hunger strike and some have taken up to 45 days to recover. Most do in few days.

We can’t keep the fish longer in cubes as that environment also causes them to deplete in health so as soon as they start eating, we ship them out.
We do not ship fish if its not eating, We email the customer and let them know it didnt pass final health inspection.

They are healthy and cured once they ship, they will put some meat on with multiple feeding and better care in your hands as clients love their pets as family members and pay lot more attention to their needs. Not saying we don’t, but being a business, I think they don’t get that much close attention here than they would at home. (it’s a sad fact)

Anyways, wanted to cover this topic as some people think after qt they should be fat as a pig, but that’s a myth in my humble opinion.
It would be true if you were to qt just a few fish for yourself, Imagine the effort and time it takes you for that, Now multiply that with 10 thousand, We carry anywhere from 8 to 10 thousand fish at any time, at various stages of qt.

Note: These fish are not in their natural comfortable environment. Forget medication, they are stressed throughout till they get to their respective tanks.

Again we appreciate the support from our customers and for ones that had not so good experience with us, I request them to PM or Email me and I will listen to your needs and will try to make it up for you.

What do I suggest to do with skinny fish if you received one.
Feed multiple times a day and add fish vitamins like selcon in their food. Give it few days they will start to pick up some weight.

As I always say, I am not in it for money, It’s my passion.

Thank you
Mike (Dr Reef)

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone
Happy Holidays.

This subject has been brought up a few times and I would like to clarify few things regarding "sometimes received skinny fish" issue.

As you know we quarantine fish and then sell them in 30 days.
During these 30 days they are with us, these fish are subjected to extreme treatments. Starting with freshwater bath or formalin depending on species.
Then they end up in copper at maximum therapeutic levels. They stay there for 14 days, then they get a massive water change and go to prazi metro and few other medications for next 14 days. After 28 total they get moved to retail section in 6x6 or 8x8 cubes.

During all these treatments fish stop eating sometimes and lose weight. Copper suppresses apatite in some cases. Poor fish barely recovers out of copper for a day they get hit with prazi which also suppresses appetite.
After 28 days they are in cubes where they are stuck till, they sell or ship, that tight space also causes loss of appetite in some fish.
Unfortunately every step of qtying causes them to lose appetite (in some fish)
We observe them in sterile tanks for few days and make sure they gain their appetite back. Once they start eating, we ship them out.
Shipping stress also causes some fish to go into hunger strike and some have taken up to 45 days to recover. Most do in few days.

We can’t keep the fish longer in cubes as that environment also causes them to deplete in health so as soon as they start eating, we ship them out.
We do not ship fish if its not eating, We email the customer and let them know it didnt pass final health inspection.

They are healthy and cured once they ship, they will put some meat on with multiple feeding and better care in your hands as clients love their pets as family members and pay lot more attention to their needs. Not saying we don’t, but being a business, I think they don’t get that much close attention here than they would at home. (it’s a sad fact)

Anyways, wanted to cover this topic as some people think after qt they should be fat as a pig, but that’s a myth in my humble opinion.
It would be true if you were to qt just a few fish for yourself, Imagine the effort and time it takes you for that, Now multiply that with 10 thousand, We carry anywhere from 8 to 10 thousand fish at any time, at various stages of qt.

Note: These fish are not in their natural comfortable environment. Forget medication, they are stressed throughout till they get to their respective tanks.

Again we appreciate the support from our customers and for ones that had not so good experience with us, I request them to PM or Email me and I will listen to your needs and will try to make it up for you.

What do I suggest to do with skinny fish if you received one.
Feed multiple times a day and add fish vitamins like selcon in their food. Give it few days they will start to pick up some weight.

As I always say, I am not in it for money, It’s my passion.

Thank you
Mike (Dr Reef)
Thanks for sharing this. I ordered my first shipment from your store this December and am excited to receive this shipment. I appreciate this information and insight. Thanks for what you do.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this. I ordered my first shipment from your store this December and am excited to receive this shipment. I appreciate this information and insight. Thanks for what you do.
You won't be disappointed. I live in Florida and have a vast number of options LFS and in state, online dealers as well.

I almost always purchase from Dr. Reef now. There was once a shipping mix up that was nobodies fault. After that, I've received nothing but healthy fish who eat their supper.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back