OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DLuce the only reason why I don't think that happened is because both my wrasses acted "sick" before my foxface died. The Solon wrasse died today and could not notice anything that fell off of him when I put him in the fresh water for like five minutes. At this point I think it was something in the food.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face was from divers den and arrived skinny. I got it so he looked slightly plump but it took a couple weeks.

specsgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the source of the glycerol? Your contamination could be from that, depending on how pure it was. At one point in time glycerol(which is alcohol based) had its main use in antifreeze.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly do no know. If that is the case would it still be in the tank? Or did the fish that died could they have consumed that?

specsgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a massive water change and hold off on introducing any new livestock. It is possible the fish either consumed or absorbed, perhaps even both whatever it was.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Everything was going fine so I added a yellow coris wrasse to see if this cycle of death was over. Guess what just as things looked promising they immediately turned horrible. Now my female clown is on her way out. Same symptoms as all the others. I am beyond furious at this point. I'm out of ideas and my fish keep dropping. My favorite fish, my melanarus wrasse, is still going strong but if he dies I'm about ready to quit. Have lost four out of 9 fish. So sad.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it possibly be brooklynella? I don't see any visible signs but my fish that are passing away all are very lethargic.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen instances of marine velvet disease where behavioral symptoms existed, but visible physical ones never manifested. A fish with velvet may breathe heavy, seek relief by swimming into the flow of a powerhead and act reclusive (velvet makes them sensitive to light). In theory, the same can happen if a fish has brooklynella. However, this is more the exception than the rule. I find it very hard to believe that you could lose all these fish to either brook or velvet, and never see any visible physical symptoms.

Now, gill flukes are another matter entirely. Those are worms which spend their entire life cycle inside the fish. Did you ever do a FW dip on a recently deceased fish to rule out flukes?

Another thing to consider is ich, velvet, brook, flukes, etc. etc. are all just a fraction of what's really out there when it comes to fish diseases. Most are either unknown or unidentified. I strongly encourage you to begin quarantining your new fish purchases before adding them to the DT: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/189815-how-quarantine.html

Better to deal with "the unknown" in a small QT that you can just dump out and start over when things go south; than have to deal with all this chaos going on in your DT which is making you want to get out of the hobby. :frown:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish that get whatever it is do not swim in the powerheads and they don't breathe heavily until like an hour before they die. I did do a freshwater dip but I didn't see anything. I would have set up a QT but my mom wouldn't let me self up another tank. She feels kind of guilty at this point and know understands that I need one. A little too late but it's a start.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish that get whatever it is do not swim in the powerheads and they don't breathe heavily until like an hour before they die. I did do a freshwater dip but I didn't see anything. I would have set up a QT but my mom wouldn't let me self up another tank. She feels kind of guilty at this point and know understands that I need one. A little too late but it's a start.

Tell your mom Petco is running their dollar per gallon sale right now, so it's the perfect time to buy a QT. Better to make an investment in that than to continue buying fish that just keeping dying. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I know. I'm just sad because all the fish that die are my old ones that I've had for a while.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428193261.002364.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428193307.805899.jpg

Wish I could go back to these days. Miss all my fish that passed away. RIP my foxface, clown, and wrasse. By the way, I can't find my firefish. Keeps getting worse.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up flukes. Common in wrasse and it just wiped out my 180 of three Angels and a hippo tang. It's going around the trade right now bad

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back