So confused: Mysterious deaths

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is that prazi pro takes care of it well and is reef safe. Bad news is that your fish are probably too far gone

YUP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes or possibly a internal parasite which prazipro will take care off too. I had a clown fish that died within 48 hrs and exhibited very similar behaviors. I saved the other one in a hospital tank by using prazipro. Remember if you use this in your dt, you will kill off all worms etc inside your tank, e.g. Feather dusters, Bristle worms, all the beneficial worms and critters in your sand bed etc. I would set up a quick hospital tank and treat prazipro, then cupramine as I believe it is an internal parasite. My two cents..

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YUP so if I were to use prazi in my DT would my tank be fine? Would I be able to get worms later in the future?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes or possibly a internal parasite which prazipro will take care off too. I had a clown fish that died within 48 hrs and exhibited very similar behaviors. I saved the other one in a hospital tank by using prazipro. Remember if you use this in your dt, you will kill off all worms etc inside your tank, e.g. Feather dusters, Bristle worms, all the beneficial worms and critters in your sand bed etc. I would set up a quick hospital tank and treat prazipro, then cupramine as I believe it is an internal parasite. My two cents..
None of my feather dusters, pods, worms, or Xenia were affected. I have all of those things in my three tanks that I treated with up to 2x dose

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you say it is too late for my fish, then why would I even do the treatment?
because otherwise you'll run fallow for 6 weeks to rid the tank of flukes. It's worth a try your chances are better with trying than leaving them

YUP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would always treat it is never too late:) I have seen some fish come back from some crazy injuries etc. And here is the caution straight from the bottle. Use with caution in dt is my advice.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428239950.925512.jpg

YUP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course some people obviously hadn't seen any known signs of die off. Like 3fordfamily. With the problem you seem to be in though and the fact that you probably can't catch them all, (if they ARE easy to catch then they are defiantly sick). The last thing I would be worrying about is beneficial worms. I'm sure that it probably wouldn't kill all your sand bed etc. and it will recover. Don't forget carbon removes meds, so if you treat remove your carbon and then when done treating add carbon to remove meds from water column.

YUP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more post:) I also do not qt my new fish. I make sure they look heathy before buying and instead use a hospital tank. If what another poster said is true and petco is having their $1 per gallon sale right now, it is the perfect time to buy one. Buy a 10g tank with a cheap heater, hob filter (one where you must add carbon to filter) and a cheap thermometer so you know your temp. It will make the parents happy and you do not have to have it set up all the time. Just when a fish is sick etc. Super quick to set up and also you use less salt and meds which save money etc. Oh buy some type of clay pot or PVC pipe for fish to hide and bare bottom. I cover my tank so it's dark so no worry about lid either. But that is up to you, I have had great success this way:) good luck

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the bottle says that, they're just discharging liability I was simply saying that in the 28 page reef central thread and my experience, few of any people had any issues with them (and some used 4-5x amount on bottle)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating with Prazipro in the DT might be worth a shot, but understand prazi only treats gill flukes and some internal worms. If your fish were dying from the former, you should have seen little white worms fall out of the gills when you did that postmortem FW dip; also flukes typically can be seen in the eyes or make them cloudy just before killing a fish. If your fish are succumbing to some sort of internal worm, you should be seeing stringy white poop coming out of them.

If however, this is brook or velvet, then your only temporary treatment option is performing a formalin bath or FW dip. The fish will just keeping reinfected however, once returned to the DT. Which is why a QT is vital.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will treat with it just cause. Who knows what will happen. At this point I still have no idea what is killing my fish. Could be anything and a treatment with prazi will take care of some of the options.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of any links that have information on how to use prazi? I have a deep sand bed in my fuge and could prazi cause a die off in there?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of any links that have information on how to use prazi? I have a deep sand bed in my fuge and could prazi cause a die off in there?
No it won't I have that too in my three

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of any links that have information on how to use prazi?

Hikari's Prazipro page: AQUARIUM SOLUTIONS & POND SOLUTIONS PraziPro Health Aid - The World's First Ready-To-Use, Liquid Concentrate Praziquantel Treatment!

My little write up on Prazipro can be found below:

Prazipro (praziquantel): Treats flukes, black ich, and some internal parasites (worms).

How To Treat - In either a quarantine or display tank, dose Prazipro at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. DO NOT OVERDOSE (especially with wrasses), try not to mix with other medications (for various reasons), and provide additional gas exchange while treating with Prazi. Wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

Prazipro is generally considered reef safe, although it may kill any tube worms/feathers dusters you have. It may also eradicate bristle worms. If you have mass quantities of these, the resulting die-off can lead to an ammonia spike. After treatment is done, activated carbon may be used to remove any residuals (if you need to use a different medication next). If using a protein skimmer post-treatment, be advised that it will “over skim” for at least a couple of weeks.

Pros - Reef safe, effective dewormer that is relatively gentle on most fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Mild appetite suppression, moderate oxygen depletion, wrasses are sensitive to overdosing.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fordfamily, did you use the treatment in your tank with all your wrasses? Two of my fish alive are wrasses and I wouldn't want anything to happen to them. Thanks both of you

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting prazi today. Going to do the treatment and a 6 days later do a water change.

Do a second round of treatment after the water change. 3 days later do another water change. Discontinue use of protein skimmer, carbon, UV, etc. while treating with Prazipro. Your skimmer will probably overskim for a couple of weeks after you're all done.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. Have some bad news though. My male clown is showing identical symptoms as m female clown. However this is the first fish with visible signs and they kind if resemble flukes. I don't know why my dead fish didn't show any flukes when I put them in freshwater but I only did that with one fish.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back