so i have this weird stuff on my rock

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so back in december when i started my tank i got this rock and this rock has been chipped broken and everything but one thing stays the same its always been covered in caroline algae and then the i have absolutely no idea algae or bacteria i’ve tried everything like scraping the rock fully dipping it in hydrogen peroxide and it’s in a high flow area when i first got the rock it wasn’t really visible but now it covers it with the caroline algae but it never spreads off the rock so can i have some help figuring out what this is and i have been dosing vibrant and it dosent seem to affect the rock at all

41A1D435-36C7-4064-B2B8-D0728C9A07A8.jpeg C50BEA30-DE48-44F9-8C1F-B5C5FBE3D2EA.jpeg

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are getting coralline algae and you want it off your rocks? Why? That is showing your tank has life and getting mature. I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would want it gone.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see red pink and purple coraline. Ime once its added to the tank it will spread as conditions are correct. If you dont want it to spread you can try removing the rock but due to the nature of coraline and your chipping etc its likely i there and will show up at some point. Im kind of confused by what your trying to communicate, it seems like your both trying to spread the coraline and want to remove it? If you like one color or type over the other i am sorry to say that i have no help to offer in getting one to out compete the other.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are getting coralline algae and you want it off your rocks? Why? That is showing your tank has life and getting mature. I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would want it gone.

It blocks the pores of live rock so it reduces natural filtration.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see red pink and purple coraline. Ime once its added to the tank it will spread as conditions are correct. If you dont want it to spread you can try removing the rock but due to the nature of coraline and your chipping etc its likely i there and will show up at some point. Im kind of confused by what your trying to communicate, it seems like your both trying to spread the coraline and want to remove it? If you like one color or type over the other i am sorry to say that i have no help to offer in getting one to out compete the other.
i’m talking about the dark red not the normal coraline

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m talking about the dark red not the normal coraline
To me that looks like red coraline in the pic, if it doesn't scrub off or blow off thats likely what your looking at. Other red things like cyano or non coraline algae would at least be slightly susceptible to manual removal.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me that looks like red coraline in the pic, if it doesn't scrub off or blow off thats likely what your looking at. Other red things like cyano or non coraline algae would at least be slightly susceptible to manual removal.
ok i thought it was something weird because it never looked like my green or red coraline algae and it sometimes has a velvet feel to it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cyano and coraline. Coraline acceptable and cyano. . . take a turkey baster and see if it blows away with a few bursts. If so, net ot siphon it up and reduce white light intensity and check both the TDS and phosphate levels in your water.

Are you using tap water from the sink or RO water ?

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano and coraline. Coraline acceptable and cyano. . . take a turkey baster and see if it blows away with a few bursts. If so, net ot siphon it up and reduce white light intensity and check both the TDS and phosphate levels in your water.

Are you using tap water from the sink or RO water ?
i’m using ro and it didn’t even come off with a toothbrush scrubbing the crap out of it i just wanna know what it is

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Red Turf Algae. Very difficult to remove by hand. Algae treatments don't seem to touch it. Grows like a thin slimy mat. Urchins are the only thing I've found that consistently eat it.
Looks like this when growing out of control on rock work;
OIP.vb_C9vNQin0VQhMICUEMZAHaFj

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 76 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back