So my friend set up a frag tank....

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see you on here Justin...the setup is looking sweet..gonna have to come by and check it out sometime..

Billy

DaveDunbar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice!!! People dont know how much this kind of setup means to the LIFE of the hobby!!! I applaud you in going for the Aquaculture side instead of just cutting up Colony's to make a profit!! I wish you all the luck on this most truly amazing project!!!
Keep the pics coming!!!!
Dave

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best photos (iPhone) but here's an update. The light rack is up on the 1st coral tank (the Rose anem's are still natural sunlight only) - the rack holds 12 x 48" T5s and is on a light mover. The lighting rack also holds 4 Tunze 6305s for a nice rolling flow.

photo-18.jpg

photo-21.jpg

photo-20.jpg

photo-19.jpg

LPS Hunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome.... Seeing that it's a solarium, why not use solar power to run all of the electrical, and eliminate the electrical bill all together (well, divert it to pay for the solar)?

That was something I was thinking about also, maybe something you can explore down the road...

I admire your ability and desire to do this...well done.

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another update cut from WAMAS:

Here are some update pics of what's been happening in the greenhouse.
Got a light mover installed to run some supplemental lights to help the sps keep going now that winter is nearing. I decided to try 12x54w T5 aquascience 22k. They are very blue and make the place visible from the road. I have reports that it looks very pretty. The only thing I don't like about this is the T5s take up too much space. I am going to put 2x400w radiums on another tank and compare the results. When I get all the supplemental lights going, maybe it will be visible from a passenger jet?
PA160016.jpg

I'm also using the light mover to act as a surge device. I made a bracket that holds 4 (room for 6) tunze streams; as the mover travels the length of the tank, the corals get a short blast of current which simulates a wave pretty well. It helps keep the bottom clear of detritus and algae too. Very happy with how this is working so far.
PA160018.jpg

Here are some pics of what's growing in this tub:
Just made these today. Planning to make about 50 more if these do well out here. The original superman digi, I have had it since 05. Slower growing than other digis. Should be available at area LFS within a few months.
PA280085.jpg

Neon green sinularia (growth champion)
PA160024.jpg

Red table acro
PA160026.jpg

Granulosa
PA170033.jpg

Bali tricolor
PA170037.jpg

Pink pocillopora
PA190063.jpg

Milli
PA190064.jpg

Random fuzzy acro
PA190065.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back