I wonder how hard it would be
(or how expensive) to heat it

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a lot of fun to play around with... hopefully some day when I'm retired I can have something similar.

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out there last night to borrow a frag tank, here's the view from the street...

photo-26.jpg

and the latest addition to the brood stock, the original Tyree Watermelon from a tank break down. It has ~50 eyes.

photo-27.jpg

amay121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Justin does have a nice collection. He's actually gotten a few of my larger colonies growing out as well. Truly a different aspect when you see this setup. Makes me want to go larger, but the cost is just astronomical.

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL... Tunze streams on a light rail... that cracks me up for some reason... very smart though. Very cool build. I want to do something like that... maybe not as large, but a 'greenhouse' of corals is so cool. I love the way this one was made, as well as the very insightful application of the light intensity & spectrum.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thread! Looks great. You must also have a very supportive family to get away with this : )

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is Justin's latest update......

Here is the new sump system that Coral Hind helped me install (Thanks David!). Now when the power goes out, I don't lose 50 gallons of water on my garage floor. Also I added auto water change and kalk dosing systems using the cole-parmer peristaltic pumps from the group buy over the summer. The kalk reactor is an 11" wide custom model from Grey Seas Aquatics (Thanks Dan!). The white barrel in the far right will be a rotifer reactor that will dose enriched rotifers 24/7 to the coral tubs. This way I'll also have live rots on hand for raising baby fish as well.
PB220101.jpg

I'm using the left sump bin as a holding tank for my coral plugs. I'm going to add an actinic or two to promote coralline growth on them so that freshly mounted corals encrust faster and look better for market. I can hold over 5000 plugs in this bin. The right bin will be macroalgae like graciliaria once I get the last of the mother colonies moved out to the greenhouse tubs.
PB220102.jpg

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a amazing set-up.
Are there any updates ?

rendos

WTMRAC's Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a lot like the old SmokyMountainCorals setup. I can't remember the guys name, but he lived near Knoxville, and had lots of tubs in a green house in the back yard. When he broke it down, he practically gave the green house and everything in it away. I got lots of good stuff.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want an update, or the link to the local forum, or to have his contact information to sell to the LFS that I run.....out of my apartment.....for me only....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back