Sock-ology: My Filter Sock Experiences

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just learned something interesting about mesh filter socks that I'd like to share.

Before I do that, I want to briefly review socks to educate those who aren't aware of the differences available in filter socks. (For those smarty pants reefers, you may wish to jump to "Conclusion.")

WHAT ARE THEY MADE OF

Filter socks are available in two different materials.....Felt and Mesh.

Felt socks are thick (ca 1/8 inch) and made of a nonwoven material. They are very efficient is cleaning your water, but because of their thickness, more difficult to clean. You can't see through them. Typically people clean these in their washing machines with a little bleach.

Mesh are a screen material that comes in various hole sizes. Common hole sizes are 100-200 microns. Under a microscope, these look just like a window screen, but much smaller little squares. Because they are a single layer of fiber, they are translucent and clean fairly easily. Typically people clean these by rubbing fabric to fabric while holding under a running faucet. (Some also clean these in washing machines with a little bleach).

WHAT SIZES DO THEY COME IN

Filter socks are available as the fabric alone (mesh or felt), typically with a draw string, or with a hard plastic ring. The common sizes for the plastic ring versions are 4 inch and 7 inch diameter rings. These rings typically fit into some sort of holder to allow DT water to drain through the sock.

MY EXPERIENCES

I first stared with both mesh and felt socks....both with seven inch rings. The only effective way to clean felt socks is in a washing machine. I have a top loading aggitating washing machine that ended up breaking up the plastic rings on my socks.

Since I could not use my washing machine to clean my socks.... felt was out!

With my mesh socks, the way I cleaned these was to run them under the faucet while rubbing fabric to fabric, and then hanging them to dry. This was very effective in getting them fairly clean. About once a year I'd soak them in a little bleach to make them squeaky clean white.

My socks are old....somewhere between 3 - 6 years old....or maybe older. I originally had about a dozen, but now down to six socks. What I've recently noticed (the past six months to a year or so) was that a sock that use to last 4 - 5 days, I was now only getting 1 1/2 to 2 days out of before it was overflowing. By the way, I use 200 micron socks.

I wasn't sure what was causing this, but my guess was bacterial bloom blocking up the mesh, precipitation on the sock, or are just clogged up with something the bleach wasn't cleaning. A recent thread was cause for me to order up a couple new socks to figure out what was going on. What I first noticed with the new socks was that they were more transparent than the older socks I have. Again, both are 200 micron socks. The best way to show this is to show you two pictures of a window in my house with the first taken through the old sock, and the second through the new sock.

To further investigate the above differences, I pulled out the jeweler's loupe and looked at the two socks. What I found was that the old socks appeared to have smaller holes. Also noted was the threading was thicker with the old socks. What I'm now surmising is that my washing routine caused the fabric to flatten/fray (and now thicken), reducing the size of the holes. The new sock has been in my tank now for over three days with no evidence of water rising.

CONCLUSION

In conclusion, I am now convinced that my washing routine of mesh socks by rubbing fabric to fabric caused the fibers of the mesh to widen, and thereby reducing the size of the holes to filter the water. What was once a 200 micron filter sock, that lasted 4 - 5 days, was now much smaller, causing it to overflow within 1 1/2 days or so.

My interest in running a filter sock was to eliminate snails from entering my skimmer. I will now be ordering 300 micron socks with the hope that my washing routine, fattening the fiber, will still allow me to get four or five days out of each sock.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this overflow snails can't get in the fuge. And I dont wear socks.
IMAG0606.jpg

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this overflow snails can't get in the fuge. And I dont wear socks.
IMAG0606.jpg

I'm pretty sure a Cerith snail could easily fit through that overflow! :D

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for over 35 yrs think I know what is in my tank lol

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I'm going to be like Paul B here not say alot don't want to pee off the newbies which I would consider less than 10 yrs experience enough said.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK unlike the rest I'm not going to shut up lol not my way. Most the old guys here won't tell you that they don't do water changes. If I had to do that probably hate this hobby lol. Randy Farley has a whole thread on dsr it's the Dutch systheyic reefing. That's what I do and no water changes ever. If you decide to learn this you can go from intermediate to expert. Just saying I don't do water changes period.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wasn't to you, @redfishbluefish. That was a very informative post and I thank you for taking the time to show us what works for your tank.

I preferred the "Wow" when I thought it was in reference to those not keeping to the OP! :eek: :D

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had me at "Wow" :)

(I also don't use filter socks)

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should not have said anything and if I was going to say anything at all, I should have SAID it. I guess I just never feel the need during a conversation to list my years of experience and the skills I've gained along the way. I let my words hold water, not the fact I've set up more tanks than a crazy lady has cats. I hope my years of experience helps someone and never ever cuts off their thoughts and ideas based on their lack of years. I give ANYONE permission to question what I do and say. I invite it. It's bloody STIMULATING! I hope to promise you I will never list my years of experience as supportive data to what I'm saying. Maybe as a statement if it's relevant, but it'll never show up as a recurring theme in many of my responses. Everyone's opinion is important at the dinner table and it doesn't make a difference who sat down first.

And no offense to Paul B, but I have no idea what "I'm gong to be like Paul B here" means.....

Last edited:

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back