redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sock more work. sock less less work.

:D:D:D

Sock, skimmer still works; sock less, digging dead snails out of skimmer pump. New pump cost how much? :eek:

Sock, water crystal clear; sock less, "Daddy, why does our tank look like a snow globe?" :rolleyes:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK unlike the rest I'm not going to shut up lol not my way. Most the old guys here won't tell you that they don't do water changes. If I had to do that probably hate this hobby lol. Randy Farley has a whole thread on dsr it's the Dutch systheyic reefing. That's what I do and no water changes ever. If you decide to learn this you can go from intermediate to expert. Just saying I don't do water changes period.

Randy has nothing to do with DSR that is all GlennF ) Glenn Fong.

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i could find a way to incorporate a sock before my return pump instead of off the drain pipe. At least with my tank it seems like it would do more good there.
You can use a floss pad between your baffles if you are using baffles.

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question!! How much do you all think a skimmers performance is affected by having it in the overflow chamber where a sock is also used?

It really depends on your water clarity in my experience and how often you feed. If you have a diatom bloom, that matter will end up flooding and foaming the skimmer vortex like mad. If you run a sock you will catch most of that mass but it will also clog the sock fairly quickly so it's a trade-off. I noticed that a lot when I was testing peroxide and glycerine underwater algae treament. I prefer to clean out the socks than have to remove my skimmer every two weeks to clean it from internal build-up.

mibwb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we only could do what my one Filipino friend does. He walks two blocks with his wagon and fills up four 5gal buckets with fresh water from the ocean and does a water change on his tank. Has a HOB with just cut up old t-shirt for filtering. Has the most beautiful corals in it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back