Some fish/coral suggestions!

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this I just filled the tank with the water and have a couple weeks to let the water cycle.

I have a 46 gallon bow front tank. I want to get two clown fish - I am thinking a Mocha clown fish - or two clown fish of some sort.

Any suggestions on a good clean-up crew?
Cleaner shrimp - how many?

My girlfriend would like to get a small puffer fish. (If we are able to)
I would like Royal Gramma

I just would like some good suggestions on some fish that go well with clowns and a clean-up crew.

Also, corals,

I would like:
-Bubbletip
-Zoanthids
-A type of mushroom
What else do people think would be a good fit for beginner corals?

Thanks for the help!

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your set up!

- There are many puffers to choose from that can live in a 46gal, you'll want to do your research to make sure they're compatible with your fish/coral. Most if not all of them should be kept in a reef with caution.
- Royal gramma, puffers, and any aggressive fish should be added after the peaceful ones.
- Some peaceful beginner fish include firefish, gobies, jawfish, cardinalfish, chromis.

- If you plan to keep coral, avoid peppermint shrimp. IMO they will pick at new additions.
- Can't go wrong with Skunk cleaner or fire shrimp - one or two is a good start.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your set up!

- There are many puffers to choose from that can live in a 46gal, you'll want to do your research to make sure they're compatible with your fish/coral. Most if not all of them should be kept in a reef with caution.
- Royal gramma, puffers, and any aggressive fish should be added after the peaceful ones.
- Some peaceful beginner fish include firefish, gobies, jawfish, cardinalfish, chromis.

- If you plan to keep coral, avoid peppermint shrimp. IMO they will pick at new additions.
- Can't go wrong with Skunk cleaner or fire shrimp - one or two is a good start.

Thank you for the information! I will definitely keep away from the peppermint shrimp. Thanks for the information on the puffers. That was something I was really unsure of. I definitely have to do some more research on the amount of fish that I can keep in the tank. I will definitely keep doing my research and thank you for the suggestion of the peaceful beginner fish. I really appreciate it!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at a tobby puffers. Out of all the sharp nose is said to less likely to nibble on coral.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fire fish, a Bengai cardinal ... either would work. There are a bunch of gobies that would do fine. A suggestion, go to Live Aquaria. Screen for fish that are easy, peaceful and reef safe. It will give you a good starting point.

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider would be something to graze on nuisance algae. My first tank was also a 45 and too small for tangs. Our starry blenny is our favorite fish...big, bad and goofy. On the sweeter side are tailspot blennies which are also full of personality and useful. Best of luck!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 51.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back