Some of my Acro Collection

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have my mix sitting at room temperature for 11 hours and the sediment is used up about 80%...this was 1/4 teaspoon of yeast on 700ml, maybe I should try more next time:
fresh saltwater650ml
FM Rebiotic1tsp
FM Bacto Therapy9ml
Nyos Absolute Aminos3 drops
Nyos Coral Nectar3 drops
Nyos Instant Plankton3 dosing spoons
Reefroids1/4 tsp
Nyos Zero2ml
Easy Life Starter bacteria60ml
bakers yeast1/4 tsp

All of the dosing amounts are half of the recommended for my tank max, most are less.
Planning to dose 150ml every 2nd day in my 160g which houses about 30 mid sized frags 5 mid size colonies and a Magnifica Nem. Hope that's going slow enough, will keep nutrients in check.
Thank you for posting that. This is the first real usable formula I have seen so far.

I just have a question. Is there a difference between making this, as apposed to buying reef snow? There are many brands of pre made reef snow, and it is much cheaper and easier. I am guessing this must be better for some reason, otherwise why are we doing it?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for posting that. This is the first real usable formula I have seen so far.

I just have a question. Is there a difference between making this, as apposed to buying reef snow? There are many brands of pre made reef snow, and it is much cheaper and easier. I am guessing this must be better for some reason, otherwise why are we doing it?
From my personal experience, the premade solutions do not provide a similar response in terms of water quality and coral nutrition.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my PC rainbow that was stalled for months. Not the best pictures, but this is a 3 week difference. Crazy.
What products are you mixing specifically and how are you processing them? Just curious as there are a lot of things being tried in this thread.

badIuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please note that this is just me documenting my experiments though! I posted the list because that was the missing link for me from all the other guys info as well but I have no idea how/if my mix works yet.

For what it's worth: I fed the first 150ml and during feeding I could observe some (very few) mesenterial filaments on my tenuis corals extending and other sps polyps puffing up so I suppose it might not be completely wrong.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please note that this is just me documenting my experiments though! I posted the list because that was the missing link for me from all the other guys info as well but I have no idea how/if my mix works yet.

For what it's worth: I fed the first 150ml and during feeding I could observe some (very few) mesenterial filaments on my tenuis corals extending and other sps polyps puffing up so I suppose it might not be completely wrong.
It works… I use a very simple concoction and I only marinate it for a hour or so… from what I’ve observed it’s a way to train your acros to eat during the daylight time! It took awhile to see the feeders but they started coming more and more… any time I add a new stick it takes like 2 weeks to get a response out of them but once you do it’s golden… all my acros even put them out now when I feed my fish frozen food it’s kinda crazy..

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What products are you mixing specifically and how are you processing them? Just curious as there are a lot of things being tried in this thread.
I'm using the daily recommended amounts as per the bottles for Microbacter7, Zeozym, Benepets coral food, Bactobalance, Moonshiners Vitamins, Calcium Carbonate, and adding about 16oz of fresh saltwater. Bubbling for 24 hours and then dosing half and then refrigerating and dosing the other half the next day.

I know there's a lot going around. Apparently I don't even need to be bubbling for 24 hours, (I guess?) but it's working for me.

cschumaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been trying the concoction and have been seeing some great results even with a much, much smaller coral density, which I've compensated for by adding on every other day. I used PNS bio bacteria since the contents are supposed to be reef present bacteria and an enzymatic combination I found at GNC which covered everything from lipids to cellulose.

I think you are definitely onto something, especially since higher level organisms such as ourselves and plants rely on bacteria to make nutrients bioavailable from "raw materials". One thing I'm trying, in addition, is running my tank at 82 degrees (started when inducing my banggai cardinals to spawn) in order to accelerate the chemical reactions which make up the biological processes and running my lights as hard as I can. I'm planning on adding doubling my AI 16HD from 2 to 4 to further increase photonic input after acclimating my corals. Basically min/maxing my tank. Coral growth is awesome, color is great, and no algae so far. I don't test for nitrates or phosphates and I still feed unrinsed frozen foods twice a day. I use the "everyone looks happy...cool" diagnosis.

My theory is one unit of photonic/sun energy + one unit of Zooxanthellae produced nutrition + 1 unit of uptake nutrition via polyp intake = 1 growth unit. Organisms strive for homeostasis, so as long as all inputs are in ratio you can maintain homeostasis and maximize growth. To be honest, I think corals bleach in elevated temperatures because the uptake nutrients are not available to offset the increased zooxanthellae production so the corals consume or expel the zooxanthellae to maintain ratio.

Therefore if you supply increased polyp uptake nutrients and zooxanthellae nutrient production (via increased photons) and you can handle the increased thermal energy. I'm sure you can reach much increased production though I'm sure you may reach a cut off.

I took photos of some frags I picked up at Reefing USA so I'm using those as my baseline. I'll update the thread on occasion with progress. BTW Allan, first heard about this when you were on reef therapy and I was excited. I started reefing in the late 90s and took a break, so it was amazing to come across some scientific reefing like it was back in the day!

cschumaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also wondered if you spray dried the concoction if it would retain the more basic compounds formed by the bacteria rather than the more complex compounds contained in the most likely plant and animal derived food additives.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've also wondered if you spray dried the concoction if it would retain the more basic compounds formed by the bacteria rather than the more complex compounds contained in the most likely plant and animal derived food additives.
Potentially, but how would I access a spray dryer?

cschumaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially, but how would I access a spray dryer?
Good point. I’ll have to look up DIY possibilities. I imagine a fine spray would have to be generated and applied to a heated surface but then again that might denature the proteins. Probably not worth the effort unless it turned into a commercial or high volume application.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the daily recommended amounts as per the bottles for Microbacter7, Zeozym, Benepets coral food, Bactobalance, Moonshiners Vitamins, Calcium Carbonate, and adding about 16oz of fresh saltwater. Bubbling for 24 hours and then dosing half and then refrigerating and dosing the other half the next day.

I know there's a lot going around. Apparently I don't even need to be bubbling for 24 hours, (I guess?) but it's working for me.
Thank you. Are you doing this at room temperature?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RR Orange Passion
1267555_710132585728805_4306526068344396024_o.jpg

RR ASIA Wolverine
1602016_710132845728779_3498654634718741534_o.jpg

RR Excalibur
10582858_710132762395454_2074797471879581823_o.jpg

RR Pink Floyd
10683516_710133529062044_1748796584566425995_o.jpg

RR Pretty in Pink
10470168_710133645728699_780186783350543425_o.jpg
Beautiful How do you take the photos no one seems to want to share

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back