Some of my Acro Collection

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably dose around .25 ml per gallon, I’ve gone up to 3 mls per gallon but I recommend you take it very slow to begin.
I went with roughly 1ml per gallon. Added this afternoon. Nothing negative to report. Some visible feeding response, mesenterial filaments, but nothing major. Do the corals have to “learn” or should I have seen more?

Oddly the Chromis were zooming around swooping up something I couldn’t see.

Should I now discard the mix? It’s been at room temperature for 36 hours.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went with roughly 1ml per gallon. Added this afternoon. Nothing negative to report. Some visible feeding response, mesenterial filaments, but nothing major. Do the corals have to “learn” or should I have seen more?

There does seem to be a “learning curve” for the corals, many of them will not have encountered this stimulus in a long time. After several feedings you should notice more corals reacting to the food. My scolies and acanthos instantly show their feeders and my sps send our filaments within 5 minutes.

Your mixture should be fine as long as it doesn’t smell rancid

Curiousbranching

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Currently I am using 100ml daily for a 60 gallon tank. As long as it doesn't affect the pH too much, it doesn't matter how much you use.

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There does seem to be a “learning curve” for the corals, many of them will not have encountered this stimulus in a long time. After several feedings you should notice more corals reacting to the food. My scolies and acanthos instantly show their feeders and my sps send our filaments within 5 minutes.

Your mixture should be fine as long as it doesn’t smell rancid
Is there a way to keep the mixture from smelling bad? Like is the incubation period too long?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a way to keep the mixture from smelling bad? Like is the incubation period too long?
Yes, there are best practices to ensure a stable culture.
I'd recommend you look into bio floc farming methods, you can find useful information there regarding best practices. I've linked a few articles in previous pages. Most of the literature revolves around shrimp farming, but I'm sure from those who have experimented with my concoction, you'll see that the results roughly transcribe over to reefing.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time for a taste!

E68CAEDB-C4F2-4961-B241-D60E2F83F508.jpeg

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve clearly not got this right.
Last week the feed lasted about 4/5 days then I threw it as it smelt a bit like gravy.
This week within 24 hours it went black and rancid.

I think last week the bacteria may have been killed by the water being too hot initially, as that’s the main difference. This week I left it to cool after microwaving.

I’m wondering whether it should have been left often instead of sealed as well?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve clearly not got this right.
Last week the feed lasted about 4/5 days then I threw it as it smelt a bit like gravy.
This week within 24 hours it went black and rancid.

I think last week the bacteria may have been killed by the water being too hot initially, as that’s the main difference. This week I left it to cool after microwaving.

I’m wondering whether it should have been left often instead of sealed as well?
Did you do anything else? Change amount of ingredients used? Use contaminated foods/containers?

A fellow reefer who has been using my concoction sent me this image of the bacterial density.
362D41C5-2E3E-4BAD-BBE4-81DE51F05CCD.jpeg

This is after 10 hours at 3 bubbles per second.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do anything else? Change amount of ingredients used? Use contaminated foods/containers?

A fellow reefer who has been using my concoction sent me this image of the bacterial density.
362D41C5-2E3E-4BAD-BBE4-81DE51F05CCD.jpeg

This is after 10 hours at 3 bubbles per second.
Heated or room temp?

Sushitheshiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@coral reeftank thank you for all the research that you do and for us reefers and sharing your concoction. Your corals are beautiful and cannot wait to order frags of them!

I’ve been lurking on this thread and finally ready to try on my tank tomorrow. I have everything that I believe is needed and will try a weaker mix of v1. Only thing I’m lost on is making a sterile fresh-mixed SW for the mix. I understand I can microwave it, but how long do i do it for? Like bubbling hot water? I know it depends on wattage of the microwave, but trying to gauge a safe amount of time.

Also verifying: is BW restor enough carbon for the concoction?

Thanks again!

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@coral reeftank thank you for all the research that you do and for us reefers and sharing your concoction. Your corals are beautiful and cannot wait to order frags of them!

I’ve been lurking on this thread and finally ready to try on my tank tomorrow. I have everything that I believe is needed and will try a weaker mix of v1. Only thing I’m lost on is making a sterile fresh-mixed SW for the mix. I understand I can microwave it, but how long do i do it for? Like bubbling hot water? I know it depends on wattage of the microwave, but trying to gauge a safe amount of time.

Also verifying: is BW restor enough carbon for the concoction?

Thanks again!
What you can do is boil rodi, after it cools down, check the volume and add the required amount of salt.

I've not use restor, so I can't quite say. Remember, the food you are adding is also a carbon source.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back