Sore on Lineatus wrasse

BMW540

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the fish for about a week and he has been eating very well. Today when I looked in the QT tank, I noticed that he was lethargic and has a sore on his side. First thing that came to mind was uronema...any other ideas?

A824C587-1769-4EFA-8CD5-ACE8BEDF8D94_zpshb45eeug.jpg

CE54EAD6-AA58-4F6D-99C8-F8368F85B84C_zps5mzumeuc.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like a bacterial infection. Antibiotics would be needed.... I suggest the trifecta kanaplex, furan2 and metroplex at the same time to cover all the bases. He probably doesn't have long considering his lethargy, but it's worth a try. Lots of extra O2.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like a bacterial infection. Antibiotics would be needed.... I suggest the trifecta kanaplex, furan2 and metroplex at the same time to cover all the bases. He probably doesn't have long considering his lethargy, but it's worth a try. Lots of extra O2.

+1 An acriflavine bath, if you happen to have Rally, might be beneficial as well. But he will definitely also need at least 10 days worth of antibiotics. Use the trifecta mentioned above; as Metroplex also treats Uronema (just in case).

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 An acriflavine bath, if you happen to have Rally, might be beneficial as well. But he will definitely also need at least 10 days worth of antibiotics. Use the trifecta mentioned above; as Metroplex also treats Uronema (just in case).

10 days worth? Doesn't metroplex and kanaplex state not to exceed 3 times of usage, which spans 6 days I believe.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that's bacterial. Good advice given!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 days worth? Doesn't metroplex and kanaplex state not to exceed 3 times of usage, which spans 6 days I believe.

Yes but stopping treatment too soon can cause the infection to come back and potentially develop a resistance to the medications. We advise going the full 10 days at a minimum.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but stopping treatment too soon can cause the infection to come back and potentially develop a resistance to the medications. We advise going the full 10 days at a minimum.

Does the treatment plan call for daily dosing or else, and how much to dose each time?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the treatment plan call for daily dosing or else, and how much to dose each time?

To make it easy, you can dose every other day right after a water change. It simplifies things. The antibiotics don't stay active in the water for very long so having it constantly refreshed is a good thing.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make it easy, you can dose every other day right after a water change. It simplifies things. The antibiotics don't stay active in the water for very long so having it constantly refreshed is a good thing.

Would 20% water change suffice?

Do I just go by the recommended dosing amount per what each bottle says?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 10 days is pretty standard when it comes to antibiotic treatment, whether it's humans or animals. Ending treatment prematurely can cause a "suppressed infection" to come roaring back.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry one more question on this topic. Don't furan2 and kanaplex treat the same thing?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one more question on this topic. Don't furan2 and kanaplex treat the same thing?
Furan 2 has a wider spectrum coverage of Gram + and Gram negative bacterial infections. I think Kanaplex mainly covers gram positive bacterial and fungal infections..

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2 has a wider spectrum coverage of Gram + and Gram negative bacterial infections. I think Kanaplex mainly covers gram positive.

Thanks

Neither box states to turn the skimmer off. Since they don't specifically say that, I believe it's okay to keep the skimmer on. Is that the correct interpretation?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Neither box states to turn the skimmer off. Since they don't specifically say that, I believe it's okay to keep the skimmer on. Is that the correct interpretation?
Usually for any treatment I perform I turn the skimmer off and don't run any carbon. I'm sure it strips the water faster of the treatment. If you need extra oxygenation run a power head at the top of the water to break the surface or run an air pump/stone.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually for any treatment I perform I turn the skimmer off and don't run any carbon. I'm sure it strips the water faster of the treatment. If you need extra oxygenation run a power head at the top of the water to break the surface or run an air pump/stone.

+1

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are both wide spectrum antibiotics, but they cover slightly different parts of the spectrum. Using them together widens the spectrum and therefore the number of bacteria it's going to treat. I hope that makes sense. Both of these meds can treat both gram positive and negative bacterium.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back