OP
OP
96silvia

96silvia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deadcalm you mentioned my nitrate and p04 levels were low. I thought low is good is it not?

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having similar random rtn from the base that leads to pealing flesh in my SPS system. I also just found your thread by a Google search "any random rtn with jaebo" I switched out a 6095 for a WP40 about 8 months back and 4 months ago added 2 more WP25 to the same system. My colors, polyp extension, overrall health has been great and I get a random RTN and loose a frag or mini colony. The coral that is nuking looks healthy, has great polyp extension, and color, but goes from rtn to peeling fast.

My parameters are.
Alk 8
CA 450
Mag 1400
Nitrate 2
P04 .03 to .05 on old style Hana meter
Temp 77 to 78
Ph above 8
Salinity 1.026

This tank looks great except for random losses and last night I was thinking that my only thing I have changed was add more flow with the Jaebo pumps and the corals responded well to the flow and my problems started a couple months back, but seem to be getting worse.

Not sure if these cheaper pumps could be the problem with maybe lower quality magnets, this is just something that popped into my head to check with others.

So anyone with Random RTN losses also have Jaebo pumps?

spsfrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sps can be difficult and easy at the same time. I have had my problems and thought of tearing everything down, but when you overcome a problem its such a great feeling. just hang in there. If only one coral is dead it could be alk swing or just an infection. With me some don't do well in my tank same as fish. O my advice would be a bit more nutrients weather you feed corals or have higher levels, I really think the only decent p04 checker is hanna, keep alk stable (spikes happen) I think temp swings are good I also believe that you can have small alk swings and condition corals to it but thats after a couple years.

Deadcalm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deadcalm you mentioned my nitrate and p04 levels were low. I thought low is good is it not?

Yes if your po4 is really zero that is a problem and could cause what your seeing.

I've had it happen in my system where po4 has hit zero and I lose polyp extension they bleach and my sps will slowly recede from the base up. A lot of people recommend to keep your po4 at 0.02 but I have a tough time keeping them there and I feed a lot just like you you.

I don't use GFO either. I just dose Microbacter7 weekly after each water change.

newe70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having similar random rtn from the base that leads to pealing flesh in my SPS system. I also just found your thread by a Google search "any random rtn with jaebo" I switched out a 6095 for a WP40 about 8 months back and 4 months ago added 2 more WP25 to the same system. My colors, polyp extension, overrall health has been great and I get a random RTN and loose a frag or mini colony. The coral that is nuking looks healthy, has great polyp extension, and color, but goes from rtn to peeling fast.

My parameters are.
Alk 8
CA 450
Mag 1400
Nitrate 2
P04 .03 to .05 on old style Hana meter
Temp 77 to 78
Ph above 8
Salinity 1.026

This tank looks great except for random losses and last night I was thinking that my only thing I have changed was add more flow with the Jaebo pumps and the corals responded well to the flow and my problems started a couple months back, but seem to be getting worse.

Not sure if these cheaper pumps could be the problem with maybe lower quality magnets, this is just something that popped into my head to check with others.

So anyone with Random RTN losses also have Jaebo pumps?

I have two wp25 on my 100g Cadlights Artisan. I just lost another healthy looking colony last night, very frustrating. I strongly do not believe it a random rtn is due to the Jaebo pump, IMO.

newe70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if your po4 is really zero that is a problem and could cause what your seeing.

I've had it happen in my system where po4 has hit zero and I lose polyp extension they bleach and my sps will slowly recede from the base up. A lot of people recommend to keep your po4 at 0.02 but I have a tough time keeping them there and I feed a lot just like you you.

Hmmm. My po4 has been undetected (zero) by the Hanna Phosphate checker. This really makes me think if it is the issue. My Alk has always been 8-9.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back