SPS Growing but color is washed out, Need help!

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this has been my issue the past few months as well, I have a nutrient sink in my tank. I've started feeding heavier and with better quality foods and I've noticed much more color returning to my corals.

gonna follow your progress, looks like you've already made some significant progress based on your last set of pics!

OP
OP
P3FE

P3FE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this has been my issue the past few months as well, I have a nutrient sink in my tank. I've started feeding heavier and with better quality foods and I've noticed much more color returning to my corals.

gonna follow your progress, looks like you've already made some significant progress based on your last set of pics!

I think is working out so far, but like everyone says, patience is the key. I'm going to keep testing and looking at the tank, I'm not going to lie, it makes me incredible uncomfortable to have my skimmer off, but sometimes we get caught up in the "must things you have to do to be successful" that we forget to listen to our tanks!

OP
OP
P3FE

P3FE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since my last update so I figure I let you guys know what has been going on with the cube. I first start by saying that everything is looking awesome and wanted to share the changes I did to the tank. I started by restating the skimmer and leaving the filter sock off. That seem to get the turn around started. After a lot of reading and some of you guys advice I decided to lower my ALK to 8.0. It took me about a week to get it there but as soon as I started I saw polyp extension start it to get better. Once I got to 8.0, I decided to up the nutrients in the tank, not by feeding anything but by adding more fish to the tank. A week after adding the new fish everything start it to color up, polyp extension went crazy and the tank started to brighten up. Then I decided to lower my photoperiod by an hour and up my flow 10%. After that change everything exploded, SPS are super happy, and slowly but surely getting their color back, polyp extension is crazy and even the LPS went to overdrive. I guess I found my tank happy place and I'm loving it!! Here's a few cellphone pics. Thanks to everyone for all the input and advice.

OP
OP
P3FE

P3FE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1424907479.876108.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1424907498.021978.jpg

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps this is my t5 light tank but it's being blasted with light. I run my blues for 12hrs a day and all lights on in the middle of the day for 8. I hade the same problem before increasing nutrients

WOW whats your bulb combo and what channels are each on a(i.e. are blues just two bulbs)

unchin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a fantastic difference in just one month. Thanks for the update!

Anthony_MC67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get about 360par at the top of the aqua scape and around 100 at the sand bed, 250 at the middle of the tank. Didn't think it was to much light for SPS but I think I will lower them a bit and see what happens. I also order a Triton test to make sure there's not something I can't test that is causing this.
If you are getting 350 par on the top I wouldn't lower it. Just increase your nutrients. Your nitrogen should be at least 5ppm. I would aim for 10 and .03 for phosphates.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back