Sps looses PE at night after a week

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I noticed that my acros PE at night will be less / non existent almost at night after it’s been in my tank for a week.

All acros have been dipped. And my KH is stable. PE during the day is actually pretty good. Any insights would be appreciated.

Parameters:
KH - 7.4
Calc - 450
Mg - 1350

nitrate - 1
Phosphate - 0.05

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is low and within the limits of being zero with test range. Any idea what your ph drops to at night?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I noticed that my acros PE at night will be less / non existent almost at night after it’s been in my tank for a week.

All acros have been dipped. And my KH is stable. PE during the day is actually pretty good. Any insights would be appreciated.

Parameters:
KH - 7.4
Calc - 450
Mg - 1350

nitrate - 1
Phosphate - 0.05
do you have any shrimp in the tank? or any animals that may be sleeping in these corals being affected? is it only a couple of corals losing PE or is it the whole tank. any more information than already provided? what do you think is going on?

OP
OP
B

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest not sure. Don’t test my PH. I do 2 part dosing and have a skimmer. Perhaps I should move to kalkwasser? Or increase my feeding.

OP
OP
B

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N
do you have any shrimp in the tank? or any animals that may be sleeping in these corals being affected? is it only a couple of corals losing PE or is it the whole tank. any more information than already provided? what do you think is going on?
No shrimp. The new guys are extending at night but not the ones that have been in the tank for 1+ week. These guys only have PE during day.

More info.

Tank is a Aquaone reefsys 180. About 40 gallons.
Got 4 fish, 2clowns, 1 small bristle tooth tang and 1 Royal gramma.

I currently feed 1 cube mysis. I am going to start feeding 6ml AB+ amino and a pinch of reefroids as well to bring up nitrates.

Phosphate removal is an oversized reef octo skimmer and GFO in a reactor.

I did have some phosphate swings. About 2 weeks ago my phosphate was 0.2 which I have reduced to 0.05 in about a week. Perhaps that’s what caused the older corals to lose PE and be stressed while the new guys missed that swing? Cheers

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N

No shrimp. The new guys are extending at night but not the ones that have been in the tank for 1+ week. These guys only have PE during day.

More info.

Tank is a Aquaone reefsys 180. About 40 gallons.
Got 4 fish, 2clowns, 1 small bristle tooth tang and 1 Royal gramma.

I currently feed 1 cube mysis. I am going to start feeding 6ml AB+ amino and a pinch of reefroids as well to bring up nitrates.

Phosphate removal is an oversized reef octo skimmer and GFO in a reactor.

I did have some phosphate swings. About 2 weeks ago my phosphate was 0.2 which I have reduced to 0.05 in about a week. Perhaps that’s what caused the older corals to lose PE and be stressed while the new guys missed that swing? Cheers

have you heard of benapets reef food, opposed to reef roids, it is supposedly higher in nitrates where reef roids is higher in phosphates both are great coral foods, since your actively removing phosphates with a gfo reactor maybe this might be beneficial to you.

this could just be the corals still acclimating and could change soon. good luck

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your flow? Is it a strong indirect random flow? Does it change at night?

OP
OP
B

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your flow? Is it a strong indirect random flow? Does it change at night?
Flow is and MP40 on reef crest at max 40% and a Nero 5 on random with max at 50% and min 30% both on back wall.

OP
OP
B

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

have you heard of benapets reef food, opposed to reef roids, it is supposedly higher in nitrates where reef roids is higher in phosphates both are great coral foods, since your actively removing phosphates with a gfo reactor maybe this might be beneficial to you.

this could just be the corals still acclimating and could change soon. good luck
Thanks :) I hope it’s just that. As for that food, I’m in Australia so I don’t think we have readily available access to that food.

OP
OP
B

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is and MP40 on reef crest at max 40% and a Nero 5 on random with max at 50% and min 30% both on back wall.
it does however, change for one hour after lights off to nutrient export and then back, perhaps that is affecting?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they not growing?
How often are you feeding?
NO3 is not a problem if you are feeding multiple times daily.
PO4 swings from 0.2 to 0.05 is quite a bit.
Not sure if it affects PE.

OP
OP
B

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they not growing?
How often are you feeding?
NO3 is not a problem if you are feeding multiple times daily.
PO4 swings from 0.2 to 0.05 is quite a bit.
Not sure if it affects PE.
Hey mate,

I feed once a day, started to feed more. 1 Cube mysis, 6ml AB+ and a small pinch of reef roids.

The P04 swing was about a week / 2 weeks ago when i was setting up GFO. It has been 0.05-0.1 for the last week an a bit. Happy with where my P04 is at now.

Strange because the coral has good colour and decent PE during the day haha.

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be great to see pictures, sometimes drastically reducing phosphates can cause a stress event for the corals.
If the PE during the day is good then your corals should be fine, most likely the reason why your corals do not display much PE during the night is because they have not been conditioned to your system yet, or they do not detect a significant food source to display their feeder tentacles at night.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest not sure. Don’t test my PH. I do 2 part dosing and have a skimmer. Perhaps I should move to kalkwasser? Or increase my feeding.
I have a soft coral tank and don't check my Phosphate or Nitrate. If you dose any Alk, especially Kalk, I would suggest a PH tester. I dose Kalk on my small system by hand and check the PH every time before I dose. If my PH is above 8.3 in the evening I wait and dose in the morning.

"We grow in time to trust the future for our answers."
Ruth Benedict

Probably happens !

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back