Stand for rolling out sump?

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good idea. And it could be done. As someone said earlier. Make a platform to roll it out onto. I have a pellet stove insert. Probably weighs 400 lbs. I have a stand I sit in front of it and slide the stove out onto it. For yearly cleaning. Same basis as your idea.

tonto95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building the same idea using heavy drawer slides. I would add upright support on back side and 45° angles on all corners.

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Ten Gallon sump on drawer slides.
DSC02464.JPG

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave all the bottom supports and build something over them that would slide out. Then you don't sacrifice any strength. Very interesting idea!

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sigh, as much as I love the idea, I have another problem to deal with. the joists where the tank and stand are sitting on are running parallel. can't have 2500-3000lb of stuffs crashing down into my basement

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave all the bottom supports and build something over them that would slide out. Then you don't sacrifice any strength. Very interesting idea!
how would you protect the rails from saltwater?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime back in since I mentioned the drawer slide idea very early on. If you put a piece of plywood on the bottom (leave the cross member, maybe add a couple more actually) you can secure the "base" piece of plywood to them.

Then you have another piece of plywood that will rest on top of that and become your slide out. The heavy duty drawer slides (I personally would use at least 4 - maybe even 6 of them) gets mounted to the base and to the bottom of the platform. So they are sandwiched between the two pieces of plywood. In theory, they won't be exposed to water when it's operating.

The rails you posted are rated at 500 lbs each. Your sump with water is likely going to weigh somewhere around 800 lbs +/- if you run it completely full, which you shouldn't be. So take some percentage off that weight. But I would still use multiple slides, not just two of them like you would for a typical drawer.

Anyway, and at least in my mind, it seems like it would work if designed and built properly.

Just my two pennies worth.

Last edited:

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add one other thing I meant to mention. You may need some supports for the slide out when you pull it out from the stand. What I mean is a support from the floor to the bottom of the "slide out tray". I'm not sure the tray will support itself if you try to pull it out filled with water. I don't think it will be an issue empty.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dragonfisher33, I decided to be my own guinea pig and try out my concept, although on a smaller scale. I tagged you in the thread below.

Here's what I discovered. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to slide it out without the display tank being full. The build I did today was for a QT tank and it's on casters. It wanted to tilt when I slid it out with the display empty. Could just be the casters, could simply be the weight imbalance while empty.

Anyway, if you are interested, follow this link.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/mobile-qt-tank-with-slide-out-sump.251098/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back