Stepping out of my comfort zone with lighting

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So must know that I have a 240 gallon tank that is 72x24x39 (39 tall I’m tired right now. I run two of the current orbit marine pros leds which I’m going to keep regardless. But from reading a lot on here I had a moment of awe and thought I would try something. So excuse me IF I sound really kinda ditzy or just plain dumb.

I was looking online at marine depot at some t5 fixtures. Now I know I have to go with the hybrid system. The standard hybrid that accepts the radions and hydras etc won’t work. One I have two 72 inch led bars and my tank is 24 wide so yeah the math just shows it won’t work. Not enough in the middle space, or to set on either end. So those are out of the idea.

However, I looked at the reefbrite ultra t5 ho fixtures. Now to make this work I would have to get 3 24 inch ones to fit in the middle of my tank. But since these can have leds next to them, and mine are very sleek, couldn’t I put one in front and back? It would basically do the same thing I think. Granted these only hold two bulbs each (not included and they are yikes 332 a piece even for the small ones).

So questions:
1.) Would this even work? I run everything from softies, lps, to high sps.
2.) Which bulbs would I even get, I have done extensive study on leds, I’m lacking greatly in the t5 department.
3.) Are the reefbrites even they good, for 332 I would hope so?
4.) Would this upset my critters, since everything thing in my tank has always been under leds?
5.) I’m not going to get rid of my currents they are amazing lights, I am just testing the water to see if maybe I can have the best of both worlds. Super amazing leds to help my coral in most areas, and add the t5 to enhance where leds lack.
6.) I’d love to try metal h, but not willing to cook my entire home.

Any advice would be good, or other t5 fixtures would be nice to know as long as they will work with my current lights.

Thanks
Sarah

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 6x80w ATI Sunpower is cheaper and a far better option. Find a way to mount the Current LEDs and you're done.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used led lights on a nano until I was settled down in my new home and could set up my new tank. Finally after setting up my tank I used a 4 bulb t5 until I decided on led lighting & now, I'm still running the t5 6 months later and not shopping for leds. I've had great success with t5 using 3 ati blue + & 1 coral + over a 4' 75 gallon tank. The fixture was just a temporary solution I had sitting around from my farm. I used it to sprout seedlings and it can be found on Amazon as agrobright today. The fixture is 5 years old and still going strong.

I did add a reefbrite lumi light actinic that comes on 2 hours before & stays on 2 hours past the t5s but feel it really adds more towards aesthetics than anything else.

I'm happy with t5s and most likely will change the fixture out for a 6 bulb version instead of considering leds again in the near future.

However, on a new build I'm looking into, I have a MH unit planned. From my experience farming it's hard to switch over to leds I guess except for my refugium lighting.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have looked at a few web sites where are the ati sunpowers even sold? My goal is to try and run both of my current 72 inch leds which are 72x3x2 and my tank is 24. In addition my leds lens are 60 degrees so I can not have them right next to each other.

By doing this combo I’m hoping to get the best color and growth possible. Plus it just kinda sounds fun to experiment. I’m curious how the corals and fish will react to it.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single current led light bar running across the front of my tank and it looks amazing with my t5 fixture - i wish I had the 24” to be able to put two led strips.

if I was in your situation what I would consider doing is finding a t5 fixture that sits across your whole tank, and with 24” you can set the fixture in the middle like you mentioned and put an led strip on the front and back of it. Some fixtures sit pretty low so The light won’t hit the led strips I think...

Here’s a pic of mine and my led lights don’t get hot or anything, I can utilize the sunrise sunset feature too with not that much coverage but enough I’m satisfied with.. you don’t have to break the bank either.

My bulb combo is coral plus, super actinic, blue plus and blue plus -

4866E928-11BE-4E2B-B349-6FDB7BD78940.jpeg

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start with running the t5’s only a couple hours a day and increasing it as you go to not stress them out and acclimate Your critters..

I will admit I have to put my sps high up to get them to thrive but an extra current led like in your situation may just be enough. If you’re keeping sps with just those two fixtures the t5’s will make them better. Softies and LPS will grow with ease as well

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

From what I have been looking at online the reef brites are the only ones they make them skinny enough to fit down the middle of the tank w leds on either side. I have thought Of the hybrids but, it would only allow me to use one of my leds.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I have looked at a few web sites where are the ati sunpowers even sold? My goal is to try and run both of my current 72 inch leds which are 72x3x2 and my tank is 24. In addition my leds lens are 60 degrees so I can not have them right next to each other.

By doing this combo I’m hoping to get the best color and growth possible. Plus it just kinda sounds fun to experiment. I’m curious how the corals and fish will react to it.
Bulk Reef Supply. Marine Depot.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using one of these fixtures by Odyssea for over a year now - with your 24” you can fit one of these and a current fixture on each end... my tank holds one of each perfectly, as shown in the pic.

I bought the fixture new and take good care of it and it performs really well. 2 channels, built in timer, one power cord. And it has moonlights also on a timer... they make 72” models

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Odyssea-T5-Q...hash=item465407c534:m:md-sm9iA2uGsXAtMjYvOGSw

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I will have to really look into those. Not only will they fit the 24 inch but they are not super expensive. Do you know how wide, the eBay site doesn’t say. They have to be 10 inch or less to fit in between my currents.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

From what I have been looking at online the reef brites are the only ones they make them skinny enough to fit down the middle of the tank w leds on either side. I have thought Of the hybrids but, it would only allow me to use one of my leds.
You can contact Joy or Tullio at ReefBrite they can assist you with any questions about there products .

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know your spacing with the Current fixtures, but have to believe you have some space on the front of back side of these fixtures. Why not simple put 2 (or if 4 fit, 4) four foot retro fixtures on the sides of the Current fixtures. Simply pick up the end caps, reflectors and ballasts, and you're good to go. That's what I did when I added two T5's to my LED's....didn't last long because lost shimmer, didn't like the look, and pulled the T5's and added another LED fixture.

LEDs with T5s.JPG

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank, I'd be looking at a T5 fixture(ATI or geiseman) and keeping the LED strips.

That is what I've been running for years now, fixture down middle, strips in front and in back, love the combo of T5 and LED.

BRS is a good source, marine depot works too but I lean towards BRS

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know your spacing with the Current fixtures, but have to believe you have some space on the front of back side of these fixtures. Why not simple put 2 (or if 4 fit, 4) four foot retro fixtures on the sides of the Current fixtures. Simply pick up the end caps, reflectors and ballasts, and you're good to go. That's what I did when I added two T5's to my LED's....didn't last long because lost shimmer, didn't like the look, and pulled the T5's and added another LED fixture.

LEDs with T5s.JPG

That is one thing to keep in mind, it does take pretty good quality LEDs to cut through the T5's and have good shimmer.

I have 2 panorama pro strips, they do add some shimmer, but I do want to add more or bump to better ones, reefbrites maybe, as I do wish I had more shimmer than I do now, but at least it's not that flat look you typically get running all T5's

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So my leds are 72x3x2 and between each led is ten inches. That’s one of the reasons why I liked the reefbrite. They are exactly ten inches and 24 so if I use three, they each would sit on top of the tank, because it has the two braces. The leds are designed to sit on top of the tank, can I do the same with the reefbrites?

Use a lux meter, three inches down on my leds I am almost 700 par so they put out quite a bit. If I’m doing it correctly my lowest point is 120 and I average close to 180 on the bottom of my tank. They both have 60 degree lens.

I also don’t know what bulbs to use, because these only take 2. The leds should be plenty of cool white and day light since I run them at 60% now

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't get into the Odyssea debate but you should do some serious research before pulling the trigger on one of them.

Have you used one personally? What was your experience with them? I’ve used this fixture ever since I started my tank and the only time they were bad is when I bought it second hand from someone. Brand new, and taking good care of it like always, not a single complaint or hardware issue. The ONlY issue I have is the clock is off by a min or two after a few months. Not an issue at all...

OP, the fixture is 8.5 inches wide - you’ll have lots of wiggle room

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you used one personally? What was your experience with them? I’ve used this fixture ever since I started my tank and the only time they were bad is when I bought it second hand from someone. Brand new, and taking good care of it like always, not a single complaint or hardware issue. The ONlY issue I have is the clock is off by a min or two after a few months. Not an issue at all...

OP, the fixture is 8.5 inches wide - you’ll have lots of wiggle room
Yes. Multiple of them because I didn't learn my lesson with the first one that was such a piece of junk. Constant ballast issues. Under drives the bulbs. Ballasts that are not spec. Terrible reflectors.

I used them back before they were known as Odyssea. I belive they were Jebo before. I don't recall their exact name. That was back in 2007 or so. They had such a horrible reputation they changed names. Heck, I probably have a picture on an old hard drive somewhere.

The metal halide fixtures are known fire hazards. Do a search.

My first fixture had ballast issues from day one and the company wouldn't do a thing to help me. I took the fixture apart and found wires hot glued together in spots. It was such a danger I had to rewire stuff and make it safer. I ran it about 6 months before selling that tank and trashing the fixture.

Back