Stepping out of my comfort zone with lighting

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I couldn’t imagine going through all that for just a light. It seems you’ve been more than patient with the fixture lol -

I’m very anal about wiring and equipment looking cheap, easy to break, and just plain not safe. I took the light apart many times and the wiring looks clean and to standard, With my basic knowledge it was enough for me to trust it. Have you had the chance to go hands on with the ones they sell currently? I’m sure they’ve made changes to better it from when you used them

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

I will definitely look them up, especially since they are under ten inches. What bulbs would one choose to coexist with my led lights? When looking at their chart, it says they can do 20-50 gallons. I know I will use three of them, but with my two current orbit marine pros, this should be sufficient.
Since they take four bulbs, what’s the ideal way to for coral growth and color. ( my leds do very very well and I love them), but one can always try and make things better. Plus how will my coral react to this change since they have only ever been under my leds?

AA54C453-63B1-478A-8CBA-B8133B56C59F.png

Last edited:

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep it simple just start adding the t5s for an hour per day for about 5 days and then use the t5s for 2 hours per day for another 5 days, ect. Watch for any signs of stress on your corals but I dot there will be any. Try 2 blue+ and 1 or 2 coral+. If 1 coral+ you could add an actenic. Myself I would do 2 blue+ and 2 coral+. Have fun.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color do you like better? More white? More blue?

Coral plus is more white ish, purple plus has tint of purple..

Blue plus is pretty blue. Aqua blue special is more white with tint of blue...

I listed my bulb combo up top. Colors really pop with good growth

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all nighters lol,

I was thinking of doing purple plus and blue plus, since I can change the spectrum on my orbit marine pros. The problem I have is my lights do amazing right now. I do want to enhance it, yet afraid of harming my corals more than anything. It would be kinda of a bummer if I add these lights, and everything goes south on me. Most people say if it’s not broke don’t fix it.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple and Blue plus would be good. It's important to try and add what you feel your lights are lacking, to supplement the missing spectrum.

The all around perfect spectrum comes from two lights, Blue+, and Coral+. The Coral+ is literally a mixture of EVERY bulb that ATI makes. It's missing nothing, and looks pretty near perfect with an even mix of Blue+ bulbs along with them.

If you wanted a pretty full spectrum that wasn't too blue, nor too white, I would add an even mix of Blue+ and Coral+ bulbs. Meaning if you have 2 bulbs, one of each, 4 bulbs two of each, etc etc.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re getting good growth and coloring then yea the don’t fix what’s not broken mentality is great lol

But you might be surprised at their response to t5’s - in a positive way. Like other Poster said, doing an hour a day of t5 for a week and very slowly increasing it will help you keep a good eye on how they’re liking the t5’s

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So do to my work schedule, my shifts are 24 hours (lol no I don’t work every day, but it’s so exhausting), the t5 I’m leaning towards is the ati sunpower ho Dimmable 24 inch 4 bulb version because it’s less then 10 inches. I need something that has the timer built in because of my work schedule. Plus Id like to have Dimmable, doesn’t mean I’ll need to use it but may be easier to acclimate to my tank.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a canopy over your tank? I was in the same boat after selling my reefbreeders hanging fixture on my 120. I wanted a mix of T-5 and LED and got my old canopy out of storage which already had one T-5 retro kit in it. (Two bulbs that I used along with 2 metal halides when I first set up the tank) My idea which worked very well was to add a second T-5 retro kit, giving me 4 total bulbs and hanging Kessil LEDs in the middle between them. Might be an idea for you if you decide to sell your LED fixtures and start over.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside my canopy.... hard to tell what’s what, but basically 2 t-5s, kessils in the middle and then 2 more t-5s.
f2c69e99c44107ece4ebb91563c86a6b.jpg
7d37ee2801c33016076657ff2f2d6bb9.jpg

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I also started with the current loop leds I have two 72” current leds. I have a 125 so my tank is not that deep. I added a kessil 360we in the middle of the tank and the tank looks amazing.
I can add another kessil in a few months but right now everything is perfect. I really like the shimmer on the water that kessil provided. I will keep my current lights.

Tomnmisty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

If your looking to keep the current leds I would go back to looking at the hybrid system. You could put 1 of your led strips between the two sets of t5 bulbs. Then you would have a spare led strip if anything happens to the current strip. Or you could mount the second one at an angle from the back of the light or tank.

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have time look up Tidal Gardens on YouTube. He just did an interesting review of cheap but fairly reliable 4 and 6 bulb T5 fixtures that replaced his expensive leds. The conclusions were quite shocking-for about $100 you can get a pretty good fixture to supplement your leds. This is a long term 1yr review. Given what BRS is using on their setups hybrid led/T5 is the gold standard now and doesn’t have to cost you much. ATI’s are the standard inT5 but the cost isn’t that appealing. Dimming is overrated- you can acclimate using a simple timer that can be gradually ramped up to whatever time you want. Just some options before you shell out $$$ for an ATI or reefbrites.

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used one personally? What was your experience with them? I’ve used this fixture ever since I started my tank and the only time they were bad is when I bought it second hand from someone. Brand new, and taking good care of it like always, not a single complaint or hardware issue. The ONlY issue I have is the clock is off by a min or two after a few months. Not an issue at all...

OP, the fixture is 8.5 inches wide - you’ll have lots of wiggle room
Every odysea I've bought, never lasted longer than 1 month. Garbage in my opinion. Tried buying a new ballast and it crapped out one month later too.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So do to my work schedule, my shifts are 24 hours (lol no I don’t work every day, but it’s so exhausting), the t5 I’m leaning towards is the ati sunpower ho Dimmable 24 inch 4 bulb version because it’s less then 10 inches. I need something that has the timer built in because of my work schedule. Plus Id like to have Dimmable, doesn’t mean I’ll need to use it but may be easier to acclimate to my tank.

I'm not a light professional by any means, but being you're considering going with the smaller T5's that are meant for 20-50 gallons, are you positive that they will be powerful enough to get a good par/pur at the bottom of your tank? Because that's where the Current led's are lacking, right?

Your tank is deeper than a standard size of 24 inches. The lights are meant for 20-50 gallons, which aren't really deep tanks. There is a "high" version of a tank in that range but I'm not sure that it is the target demographic for that light.

I know you will have multiple lights, but they're all side by side, so it won't penetrate deeper with an under powered bulb that's not meant for your depth.

Just be sure to check with the manufacturer before spending the money on something that may not give you the desired results.

Are you having any problems that would indicate you need supplemental lighting? You could also find two 36" long lights to fit between your Current led's.

And just an fyi... Current came out with mounts for your lights that will fit bigger tanks now. It's called the XW mount that can hold both of your lights and extend them further out over the tank. I haven't used them, but they look to to the job. Then you may have more room for a properly sized T5. HERE'S the link to the mounts.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a light professional by any means, but being you're considering going with the smaller T5's that are meant for 20-50 gallons, are you positive that they will be powerful enough to get a good par/pur at the bottom of your tank? Because that's where the Current led's are lacking, right?

Your tank is deeper than a standard size of 24 inches. The lights are meant for 20-50 gallons, which aren't really deep tanks. There is a "high" version of a tank in that range but I'm not sure that it is the target demographic for that light.

I know you will have multiple lights, but they're all side by side, so it won't penetrate deeper with an under powered bulb that's not meant for your depth.

Just be sure to check with the manufacturer before spending the money on something that may not give you the desired results.

Are you having any problems that would indicate you need supplemental lighting? You could also find two 36" long lights to fit between your Current led's.

And just an fyi... Current came out with mounts for your lights that will fit bigger tanks now. It's called the XW mount that can hold both of your lights and extend them further out over the tank. I haven't used them, but they look to to the job. Then you may have more room for a properly sized T5. HERE'S the link to the mounts.

Hello,

Just wanted to say I loved your response. Thanks:).

I don’t have the ic marine pros leds I have the bigger orbit marine pros. From the lux meter I have that I have used in my research at aquariums my leds average close to 120 to 150 par at the sand bed. I have zero issues with these lights growing anything. I have a Maximus clam and he is almost 24 inches down and has been doing amazing. I have a mixed reef so I have section my tank in level. Most of my softies are on the bottom, and my lps range from sand bed to mid tank.
Most of my sps range from the highest point which is still maybe 9 inches, to mid tank. I average close to 500 or more at about 10 inches.

The only reason I have even consider adding to my lights with the t5, was for certain sps color enhancement. Both of my leds have 60 degree lens, so while the tank was dry I Lol did the math. I basically centered the lights, but once centered I found the sin/cos of the angels to make sure with the 24 inch width i would not have shadows. Now do to refraction, the angels will change slightly. But my orbit marine pros actually sit on top of the tank. They are 72 inch long, and come with metal tank stands. So to be techy, they sit 1.5 inches roughly off the tank rim. They are approx 3 inches from the surface of the water.

Now I have not experienced hanging or mounting lights. I have always seen t5s and others hanging. Since I have two center supports, and the t5 fixtures are 24 inches, won’t they just sit on top of the tank? This is what I’m not sure of, because I want to avoid shadowing. Which, I would turn my leds off to make sure etc.

If I have to raise, the t5s then the depth issue as you have mentioned may become an issue. Since they are 20-50 gallons, I have to figure some math. If my tank is 240 gallons, I have to find the rock and sand displacement. Which is going to be less then 240, plus the overflow displacement. (To tired to come up with the physics equations at the moment) but I’m positive I have less than 240 water volume.

If I have three of them centered, which would 12 inches, then the light would be in the middle of that 12. With three I’m at either 60-150 water volume. Now even with my displacement, I’m over that, and depth is an issue. The good news is to my favor I have no color or growth issues with just my leds. All I’m trying to do is enhance color in all my colors. Which leads me two possible problems, well three.

1.) The leds are a basic point and shoot with the lens and 60 degrees etc. Now with these fixtures I’m not sure of the coverage wise depth and width since they are in the center.
2.) I’m also worried how my coral will respond, they have only grown under leds, I don’t want to bleach them or make them angry at me. Which I choose to use if I go this route two blue plus and two purple plus, because I can still turn up the cool whites and white etc In my leds If needed.
I have looked at they hybrids in which they make 24 inch lights as well, with the leds in the middle. Now making an educated guess here, those bulbs sit on the outside and have a further ways to go to meet the center of the tank. These are in the middle, and have a further range to go to hit the edges. Most of my coral, is mid tank and goes back 6 inches, I have very few corals that sit behind the overflows. (This is harder to write in words then I thought specially when tired) . So if the hybrids are working on tanks my size and smaller, how are they hitting the depth? (I’m asking because lol I don’t know). My leds would be too close together at a 60 degree lens that the second light bar would be worthless. Those are only 7.5 inches between the bulbs or the exact measurements for the radions and hydra and kessil. So if the leds are in the middle of those and bulbs on the side, how do people get those to reach the bottom? (Like you pointed out?)
3.) Lol last but not least I’m still stuck on it it’s not broke don’t fix it. My coral growth is amazing, and the color to me looks as good as anyone else’s. Some who have mh with supplemental leds, I see a little more pop and color. But I don’t want to heat my whole house.

Regardless you have very clearly pointed out the problems I was already chewing on, lol you just happened to put it in words better than I. Yay. From the research I have done, which is quite a bit, I have not seen a very similar approach yet. Plus wasting 1500 dollars, is well silly. Thoughts perhaps?

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sarah. Maybe you can share a picture of your system to help explain your setup.
I would suggest trying to get your hands on a par meter to give you a better idea on where you stand with your current LEDs. Should be able to borrow/rent one from local reefers or LFS. Based off that data I would then move foward from there. If you need additional light intensity and are leaning towards T5s I would suggest with two 36" Aquatic Life hybrid figures. I believe you mentioned your LEDs are 3" wide and the hybrid fixture has a 7" opening between lights. As for bulbs I would suggest 1/2 of them be Attinic to reach the 400nm-440nm violet spectrum that your LEDs are not emmiting. I wouldn't worry about hurting any corals or clams if you were to add T5s as long as you properly acclimate. Just my 2 cents.

I have never seen a 39" high tank. Custom acrylic? I calculated 72x24x39 out to approx 290 gallons.

Last edited:

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 180 gallon 72x24x24 and I have the 8 bulb sunpower 80w with a reefbrite on the front and back. I can grow everything in the tank and my tank is SPS dominant. I would recommend doing something like this.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every odysea I've bought, never lasted longer than 1 month. Garbage in my opinion. Tried buying a new ballast and it crapped out one month later too.

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones!

Judging from the feedback on these lights, Sarah buy at your own risk LOL

Back